Arduino Sumo Bot (servo question)?

I'm getting a little confused, so I'm trying to build a sumo bot using Arduino. I have 2 continuous servo motors and I have 2 mini servos that are operational at 180 degrees. So the first 2 are for the wheels and the last 2 are for arms. Do I need to get a motor shield for my board or can the Uno handle it, and which pins do I need to use, I've been told that you can only power servo's on pins 9 and 10. Please Help! Thanks

Favorite Answer

Make the power to the servos separate - you don't want it going through the Arduino, there'll be too much current. Just connect the PWM outputs (and ground) from the Arduino to the servo control wires. You have 6 PWM outputs to choose from (pins 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, and 11), so you can actually control two more functions, if you want.

I've not studied the motor shield, but I suspect you only need it if you are driving conventional motors (which don't have a separate control connection - you control by controlling the power supply) as opposed to servos (which do have a separate control).

Sure, with a couple of low-cost 555 timer ICs from Radio Shack. Construct in step with circuit diagram in the source. However you continue to must buy the Arduino at some point, it is lots of enjoyable. Why would you pay $30 for the Arduino Uno when that you could get a clone Arduino for $13 ? The delivery will take 3 weeks although. You simply follow the illustration programming they give you, it entails servo programs. You're going to choose up what they are doing pretty speedily.