Is anyone familiar with ADA, I was under the impresion that by law.?

TDoes the landlord/owner have to make reasonable add ons. to accomadate the disabled. tenant? I have lived in the. same place 8 yr, I now need a safety bar. In. the tub, it's. time to sign new lease.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Lynn
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A safety bar for the tub is very inexpensive and so easy to install, even I can do it. (I am many things, but not mechanically incline. lol) I might (or might not) mention to a landlord that I'm installing it, but the idea of bringing it up, simply because its time for a new lease would never dawn on me, and money is always tight.

• LILL
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Yes...but the tenant has to pay for the bar and the installation. The landlord can also decide not to renew the lease.

• 8 years ago

ADA is not the pertinent law - FHA is

No, the landlord does not have to make reasonable add-ons

you need to let them know that you need the add-of

they should allow you to have it done

he can require that you remove the add-on when you leave & return the place to it's original state

if you put in a safety bar, then you might not be able to return to original state (drill holes in tile)... so you may have to agree to leave it when/if you move from that location

landlord is not obligated to renew your lease

• 8 years ago

"I now need a safety bar. In. the tub, it's. time to sign new lease."

Then go out and get one and have it installed (both at your expense) and let your landlord know what you're doing. It shouldn't be a big deal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Personal add-ons in the apartment are the responsibility of the tenant and must be removed upon leaving, along with restoring the apartment to original condition.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_o...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.