What to do in Germany?

Hi, im going to Germany on June 26th - July 22. Six days are going to be spent in Brussels and Paris (July 3 - 8th). So besides those dates well be staying in Mainz were my grandmother used to live. Whats to do there for almost three weeks? What neighboring cities are close and have fun things to do? Is Berlin to far? All the cities we would see around Mainz would have to be day trips cause we are not booking more hotels. Would it be to far to make a day trip to Zurich or Luxembourg? Just wanted to know what I could do, if anyones lived there what places to eat at, etc. Thanks for your help!

Favorite Answer

Don't panic. That part of Germany is actually quite fun. You get really open and gregarious people there, excellent wines, and, as you quite rightly point out, good daytrip opportunities to interesting places. Luxembourg and Belgium are close and worth going to, and I'd try going to some local event. At that time of year, there will be a lot of wine festivals, and it's a good opportunity to just delve in and meet the locals. All Germans speak English - don't let them tell you otherwise, they might just be too lazy to dig it up. I'd just linger, enjoy the wine, and chat up the locals. That place is lovely.

If you are interested you could take a boat ride up the Rhine river from Mainz to Cologne. There are tons of things to see in both cities. No hotels necessary. Take the train back to Mainz, all in one day.