Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

35 nations spend more of their gdp on education than the usa. can you believe that?

Update:

on the other hand, about 90 countries spend less than us on education, including some who get better results.

Update 2:

Public Schools Perform Near Private Ones in Study

Sign In to E-Mail This

Print

By DIANA JEAN SCHEMO

Published: July 15, 2006

WASHINGTON, July 14 — The Education Department reported on Friday that children in public schools generally performed as well or better in reading and mathematics than comparable children in private schools. The exception was in eighth-grade reading, where the private school counterparts fared better.

Related

Full Report (pdf)

The report, which compared fourth- and eighth-grade reading and math scores in 2003 from nearly 7,000 public schools and more than 530 private schools, found that fourth graders attending public school did significantly better in math than comparable fourth graders in private schools. Additionally, it found that students in conservative Christian schools lagged significantly behind their counterparts in public schools on eighth-grade math.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

So?

Very few of those were developed first world nations.

What's your point?

• 7 years ago

Yes, and considering you have a higher population then most of the countries listed above you...that is sad.

Also it isn't surprising and I can very much believe it.

American's education is sh*t, I feel like few of you are good at history, world politics, geography and English, even the maths and sciences...but mainly the first three.

Off the top of your head, can you name the Prime Minister and Capitol of Canada?

(Which heads up...is the country RIGHT NEXT to you guys....)

***ADDED: It's because your taxes are low. It's ridiculous.

• 7 years ago

Yep. The public education system in America is terribly flawed. My children will never attend a public education institution.

• 7 years ago

The US wastes the majority of money that goes to education now. Open up private schools that compete and watch things improve.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

I bet they also spend less on well everything the eff else. you wanna spend more on schools fine.. what are we going to cut to free up that money? well.. i guess it does not really free it up.. since we are spending almost twice as much as we actually have.. but that is not really the point you are making so i digress. Shall we divert money from SSI? or from food stamps? Section 8? the Military? welfare? green energy initiatives? we both know that Congress is not going to divert their salaries to pay for more money for schools. so what are you willing to cut to come up with that money? i guess in the end that is the real problem here. no one is willing to cut anything but we all want to spend more on something.

• 7 years ago

I think this is a better picture. We spend more than any other nation and our test scores are at the bottom.

http://www.supportingevidence.com/sitebuilder/imag...

Here's another. Spending has gone asintotic (look it up!) and our scores haven't changed in 40 years.

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/wp-conten...

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

certainly but anyone who has done any work with numbers is intelligent enough to also know that picking one ratio out of the hat to make some political statement does not know what they are talking about

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yes! This is why we need to get Republicans out of the house. They hate educated people, especially immigrants.

• 7 years ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.