M
M asked in SportsBaseball · 7 years ago

Do you think, by the trade deadline, the Rangers will acquire Giancarlo Stanton?

1. Kinsler and Andrus are both under contract for a long time. The latter had just signed a big contract.

2. With Kinsler and Andrus being locked up for a long time, there's nowhere for Middle INF Jurickson Profar, arguably the best minor league prospect in all of baseball, to play.

3. Giancarlo Stanton makes no bones about his dissatisfaction with the Marlins ownership. I don't blame him, either.

A Profar for Stanton swap makes too much sense. There have been a lot of rumors about this recently. I want your opinion(s) on this matter.

• MFFL
    Best Answer

God, I hope so. As much as I like the promise Profar has, we already know that Elvis Andrus and Ian Kinsler are all-star infielders. We've got another top prospect infield with Mike Olt. I'd be willing to give Profar and Olt to get Stanton. It's funny. This year it looks like we've got good enough pitching. It's just a question of if our offense will be able to score enough.

• D

Before I go into the question in general, there is no way, no how that Profar is the top prospect in baseball. That honor goes to Yasiel Puig, and it's not even close. Profar has talent, definitely, but he's not near Puig's class. That being said...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Profar for Stanton deal happen, though it certainly will be more than just Profar on the table. Still, Profar could be the centerpiece of a 4 for 1 trade for Stanton. But there's no way the Marlins let him go for less than 2-3 'plus' prospects along with Profar.

Yeah, I think the best thing the Rangers could do with Profar is to trade him, and not move Kinsler to first or the outfield, like i've aeen some suggesting. Stanton would be a pretty good option, but since Stanton is still so young and is already a star, and the only thing currently bringing their 9,000 fans per game to attend, the Marlins would probably want more.

Side note, could you imagine Stanton in that hitters park with that lineup? That would be something.

They would probably have to include more than just Profar in the deal, since Stanton is a proven superstar and Profar is still "just" a prospect. But I could see something like this happening. The Marlins might keep Stanton for a few more years though, they have an affordable, game changing talent still under team control.

The Rangers would need to add much more to a deal for Giancarlo Stanton than merely one (highly touted) prospect. Remember that Miguel Cabrera went to the Tigers for a top 10 hitting prospect, a top 10 pitching prospect, AND paying all of Dontrelle Willis' contract. Stanton has this season at league minimum, plus all of his arbitration years left.

A Rangers trade would have to start with Profar, Mike Olt, *AND* Cody Buckel or Martin Perez. They might even have to take Rickey Nolasco in the deal, too.

That kind of high price is why Stanton was not dealt prior to 2013. Teams don't want to mortgage their entire future for the sake of one player... even one as excellent as Stanton.

• Brian

I think a number of things are leading to Stanton's drop in numbers this season:

1) He's not happy in Miami (who would be with Loria in charge??)

2) He has no protection in the lineup. Maybe an aging Polanco... thats about it.

Moving him to Texas with hitters like Berkman, Beltre, Cruz, Kinsler... that whole team is stacked with talent even with the departure of Hamilton. I think he'd find his form again, and start belting them out of the park. Maybe a deal for Profar plus Gentry or Borbon, and maybe cash considerations or future picks and this could be a deal.

Sad to see his talent being wasted by poor decisions on the ownerships part. They gave away the team around him, and didnt replace it very well.

Source(s): Like to see him back in his groove soon.... He's on my fantasy team this year!

I think the Marlins (as stupid as their upper management is) would want more than just Profar for Stanton.

Yes I do think this will happen. The Marlins are a joke.