Why am I obsessed with using soap to wash my face? Is it okay to use just water?

I have noticed that over recent months, I have been using soap and water to wash my face. If I do not use both, I have the constant feeling that my face is dirty. However, I have also noticed that soap really dries out my skin, to the point of causing slight bleeding and cracking/flaking at times. Is it okay to just use water to wash my face (even when picking your nose or cleaning ears; basically, cleaning areas that are considered dirty)? Will the water effective do the same job as with water and soap? Help is greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Yes.

Any kind of facial wash, you're leaving something toxic behind, it's not a matter of convenience, it's a billion dollar business that can do more harm than good to your acne. And sometimes we feel entirely virtuous about our skin-care regimen because it's full of SPF-- all year round!-- and cleansers and such. But the truth is, we may not realize that we're overdoing (or underdoing) something that can lead to the very thing we're trying to avoid: dryness, breakouts, accelerated aging, New York dermatologist Dr. Jeannette Graf. (I've been giving this same advice for decades, but she's proof enough!).

Take a shower everyday, use washcloth to exfoliate and bath & body wash. Hydrogen peroxide does wonders for acne. Visit their website for more tips & other uses. ONLY $1.

Acne medication could worsen what ever allergies you have, so instead of trying out one product after another, you're actually spreading it around.

The less products you use, the better for your skin. Use a bath & body wash like Suave, Irish Spring, Dove Body & Face wash in the shower, use a washcloth. Treat your face like the rest of your body, take a shower everyday or wash your face everyday.

The secret is keeping your face clean and oil-free. I also don't use liquid on my face for anything, and very little moisturizer, not even a dime size. Since my face is not dry. Good skin also comes from your good genes. Increase your fresh fruits & vegetables 3-5 servings per day. And programmed your mind to do this day after day, for the rest of your life.

The beauty industry is a trillion dollar business, they know acne is everyone's problem, but instead of saying soap is drying for you, they have to invent an acne product that can worsen the skin as MANY TEENAGERS have experienced during hormonal change, but as you get older those are completely a waste of time & money!

Sometimes just the oil on your face from make up and lotions, even from your hair can travel to your face causing acne to come out. Others, from stress, hormones & diet or foods.

Google: FIVE FOODS TO EAT FOR BEAUTIFUL SKIN

All the vitamins & minerals you need for good skin care comes from all the healthy foods you eat from Mother Nature.

If acne's a problem, your pillowcases may be part of the cause. "They collect skin oil, dead skin cells, bacteria, and excess night creams," says David Bank, a professional Dermatology @ Columbia University/New York-Presbyterian Hospital. "But if nothing changed by 6 week the product will never work for you. Time to move on."

"If you have breakouts, dairy is the devil' it is inflammatory and will add hormones to your already hormone-rife system. Get calcium elsewhere, or try nonfat organic dairy products. For PMS breakouts, avoid dairy and bakery items the week before your period - sugar and flour are both causes for pimples and collagen." Dr. Jessica Wu, M.D. University of Southern California School of Medicine and author of the new book Feed Your Face.

SOMEONE WROTE TO ME the other day, ASKING IF THIS BRAND IS BETTER THAN THAT BRAND - FOUND @ DRUGSTORES THEN WROTE ME BACK & THANK ME, SHE LOOKED @ HER MOM'S SKIN AND THEY WERE GOOD, BUT SHE USES ONLY WATER TO WASH HER FACE. There you go, an update.

Lea Michele recently revealed her secret to clear skin—She gives it room to "breathe." "Maybe I'll put on a little mascara. But other than that I try very hard to just let my skin breathe," she told people.com. "I care more about letting my skin breathe than how I look."

Another good example is Lily Collins, actor, writer, artist: "When I travel to Europe, I go days without putting anything on. It feels healthier. I just never understood the idea of caking it on. The more you have on your face, the more there is to smudge and go wrong." Glamour - Sept. 2012.

Sources:

I have 5 decades of great skin care starting @ age 9. My aunt & uncle are doctors.

• Karen

How To How to Wash An Oily Face 1. Wash your face and neck morning and night. Washing more often than this will only cause the sebaceous glands to produce more oil. That is not what you want to happen. 2. If you think that your cleanser could be part of the problem, perhaps it is time to try something new. Look for a product that is gentle. It usually says so right on the bottle. You might also ask your doctor or dermatologist to suggest a brand to try. 3. Splash warm water over your face and then add a little cleanser to your hands. Work into a lather and then massage your face. Rinse thoroughly with warm water. There should be no soap residue left on your skin. Most importantly, never use hot water. 4. Using a soft clean towel, blot the water from your face. A clean towel is extremely important, as a used towel could be a breeding ground for bacteria. 5. Apply a sunscreen that is oil-free. TIPS : There are a lot of things that will trigger the oil glands. Hormones, hot weather and even some foods are known culprits. Your cleansing routine should include your neck as this is an area that is very prone to blemishes even though the area does not seem to be oily. If you find that your face is oily again by lunch time, use oil blotting papers to soak up the oil. Do not be tempted to re-wash your face.

Well, all I can say is that aside from eating healthy foods (a balance of vegetables, fruits, fish, meat, legumes, fiber rich foods) and drinking lots of water with exercise, a good amount of rest and vitamins helped me have a clear and unblemished skin. I sometimes use facial cleanser and seldom use make up. And make sure that you wash your face regularly with warm water and mild soap to help release or loosen the clogs on your skin.

Yes it is.

I only use water and my skin is fine and I don't tend to get many spots.

Think about it, soap is mainly made up of chemicals etc to properly clean off bacteria and such.

Your body is made up of tonnes of bacteria and a lot of it is good. Soap is not a natural substance, when you were born your body didn't need it to keep clean you have natural oils in your skin.

Trust me wash your face with just water for a week and you'll be much better :-)

• Mary

Water alone doesn't clean, it just rinses. Dirt and germs will still linger after just rinsing with water. Soap sticks to the dirt, oil, and germs then water rinses all that away. Your face feels dry because soap washes away the natural oil on your skin. You should use a face wash to wash your face that won't dry it out. Lotion on your face can keep it moisturized.

I recommend using wet wipes,they are moist and fairly cheap. Most of them are Anti-Bacterial and you get a lovely fresh sensation and cease spots. They don't dry out your face,either. They keep your face clean and fresh,a perfect combination.

use some kind of facewash like johnsons baby....it is really nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!