Why am I obsessed with using soap to wash my face? Is it okay to use just water?

I have noticed that over recent months, I have been using soap and water to wash my face. If I do not use both, I have the constant feeling that my face is dirty. However, I have also noticed that soap really dries out my skin, to the point of causing slight bleeding and cracking/flaking at times. Is it okay to... show more I have noticed that over recent months, I have been using soap and water to wash my face. If I do not use both, I have the constant feeling that my face is dirty. However, I have also noticed that soap really dries out my skin, to the point of causing slight bleeding and cracking/flaking at times. Is it okay to just use water to wash my face (even when picking your nose or cleaning ears; basically, cleaning areas that are considered dirty)? Will the water effective do the same job as with water and soap? Help is greatly appreciated.