Can I return to the US to retire after spending the last 40 years living in Canada (dual citizen)?

I moved to Canada when I was very young and had hardly any work history in the US (but still have my Social Security number). Could I retire to Arizona if I wanted to, without a visa or anything? Would I be breaking the law? Would the IRS or Homeland Security hassle me?

• bw022
    Favorite Answer

Yes. US citizens are always free to return to the United States. You will require a passport to enter the US and (if you enter using a Canadian passport) you should also tell the Border Services Agency that you are also a US citizen. You should also make sure you have proof of US citizenship -- typically your birth certificate.

You may wish to look at the economics of retiring in the US. Obtaining medical insurance will be expensive and won't cover pre-existing conditions. You'll lose your provincial insurance upon failing to maintain a residence in Canada or if you leave the country more than six months of the year.

There will also be tax implications if you have not filed income tax returns in the US all these years -- US citizens are required to file income taxes whether they live in the US or not. In 2013 the US law now requires Canadian banks to forward statements of all US citizens to the IRS. You'll need to contact a lawyer and look into amnesty programs offered by the IRS. You have until August 31st. Fines for not filing are up to $10,000 per year, plus interest on any taxes owing. Note: this applies whether you retire in the US or not. Come August 31st, the IRS will begin acting on US citizens who have bank accounts outside of the US and who have not filed returns.

40 years ago America did not recognize dual nationality. If they do now, that is a change from previous policy. If you are still a U.S. citizen you can live in Arizona. You probably have Old Age Security and Canada Pension Plan and they will send your benefits by mail.

You absolutely can live in both nations if you wish to and you could travel backward and forward between the 2 countries any time you want. Not sure whether or not it makes any feel to take action, however you surely can do it... Word that you simply cannot be "twin resident" for US tax functions, for the reason that you're a US citizen and so viewed a US resident via the IRS in spite of the place you reside.

If you are a US citizen you can move to the U.S. at any time. The only thing you needed to do, and I hope you did, is file an income tax return every year since making money as the U.S. taxes worldwide income. If you enter the United States and owe the IRS a gazillion dollars in income taxes, they will not allow you to leave again.

Source(s): Attorney at Law
  • Raelyn

Yes, you.can move back here, but there is no universal health care as in. Canada. Retirees who've worked here full-time at least ten years can sign up for Medicare. You would have to arrange your own health insurance, which would be very expensive at your age, even if you're in good health.

You are an American citizen by birth so you can live there. You will lose your Canadian healthcare, of course.