Is this a reasonable argument for the novel Fight Club?

"Just as alcohol is for an alcoholic, Tyler, the narrator's fabricated second personality, becomes an addiction for the narrator, pushing him further away from society until he finally hits the definitive bottom of attempting suicide in an effort to rid Tyler from his life."

My English professor is a tough grader in terms of what you're arguing. I've not done well because my argument followed too closely to the book, because it was too far-fetched apparently, & he's also made comments about arguments not being controversial enough, so I guess I'm just wondering if this argument fits these criteria.

Favorite Answer

Tyler Durden is not an addiction, he is a mental defense against the narrators feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness.

Unlike an addiction, he had no choice when Tyler came into his life.

If anything, the narrator was addicted to living a mediocre life, his unconscious choice to bring Tyler into his life was his mind telling him that he needed to kick his habit of being a nothing and finally do something with his life.

The narrator represents the modern working class, everyone else that sees him behind the bar in the first fights can see that he is beating himself up. the first guy that asks if he can be next is actually asking if he can punch HIMSELF in the face.

The story is about addiction, yes, but it's about the addiction of corporate america. All of these men want to beat themselves silly because they finally realize that they were tricked into the addiction of the 'American Dream'.

I love Chuck Palahniuk and I'm not a socialist but it really makes you think... Is being successful more important than being a real human being?

I think what is trying to be said is that brotherhood wins over capitalism.

Wait..... are we talking about the book or the movie?

****....

nevermind

Source(s): burp