More proof of that Black Americans still face daily racism in America........What do you think?

An African-American nurse who is suing a Flint hospital because she said it agreed to a man’s request that no African-American nurses care for his newborn recalled Monday she was stunned by her employer’s actions.

“I didn’t even know how to react,” said Tonya Battle,49, a veteran of the neonatal intensive care unit and a nearly 25-year employee of the Hurley Medical Center.

Battle’s lawsuit states a note was posted on the assignment clipboard reading “No African American nurse to take care of baby,” according to the eight-page complaint against the medical center.

Battle said she was working as a registered nurse in Hurley’s neonatal intensive care unit Oct. 31 when a man walked into the NICU, where Battle was at an infant’s bedside. He reached toward the child, according to the lawsuit filed in Genesee County Circuit Court last month.

“I introduced myself to him. ‘Hi, I’m Tonya and I’m taking care of your baby. Can I see your (identification) band?” Battle said, referring to the hospital-issued identification used to identify infants’ parents. “And he said in return, ‘And I need to see your supervisor."

When the charge nurse returned, she told Battle that the father didn’t want African-Americans to care for his child. Further, the charge nurse told Battle that he had rolled up his sleeve to expose what appeared to be a swastika.

The charge nurse passed the request to her supervisor, and Battle was reassigned, according to the complaint.

Even after hospital officials removed the sign that had been placed for a short time on the assignment chart, Battle and other black nurses were not assigned to care for the baby for about a month “because of their race,” according the lawsuit.

“What flashed in my mind is ‘What’s next? A note on the water fountain that says ‘No blacks? Or a note on the bathroom that says ‘No blacks’?” She also said she felt the issue was important enough to pursue the matter legally because she expected Hurley to have turned down such a request.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/02/20/no-b...

This is a small example of the racism most black americans face daily....I witness many of it with my long time boy friend as you can see from the picture that he is black.

What are your thoughts???

How can we cut down on racismin America????

• I VOTE
    Favorite Answer

America is a very racist country.

You see how mostly white people are the ones saying there isn't any racism any more.

How the hell would they know????

LOL you see if it doesn't happen to them then it doesn't exist.

I remember reading this when it first came out.. From day one my question was simple. Is this racism or is this a Hospital trying to protect it's staff? If the hospital had refused the man may have simply taken the child and his wife and left, or worse he may have agreed only to verbally or physically attack the nurse. why the heck would she want to be the nurse for this family anyway? this is a stupid woman filing a stupid claim. Just like everything else, the morons who scream the loudest are the minority

The hospital did not prevent her from working. The patient and family are customers and can demand that a person not be involved in their service or care. This is not racism but discrimination which is not illegal when practiced by an individual in reference to their personal preferences. You can not tell people who they have to marry, hang around or do business with.

One small example and you see rampant anti-black racism everywhere? Open your eyes a little wider. You might just see that most racism is directed at whites these days. AND it's legal. You want to cut down on racism in America? Make it illegal to discriminate against anyone. Or, just keep on reaping what you sow. Doesn't matter to me anymore. God will straighten it all out in the end. And He doesn't do Affirmative Action. Just a little something for you to ponder.

Yep, 350,000,000 people in the US thousands of children born daily and one guy doesn't want a Black looking after his new born and that is proof positive that the other 349,999,999 are racist and or that is how everyone thinks. But so you can feel good about yourself and call me racist, I'll say this, No, it is an example of one paranoid person who read the dozens of stories of Black women/nurses steeling babies.

If the parents dont want a certain race to deal with their baby, they have every right to do so. The hospital also has a right to tell them to leave/deny their request. Racism will stop when every race, including blacks and hispanics stop using racial slurs even amongst themselves, and judge people by their actions instead

• D.E.M.

Hey why are you concerned if some idiot didn't get the most experienced nurse to care for his child. I look on it as the best qualified staff was allowed to look after someone that appreciated it. Prejudice usually hurts those that practice it more than those that want the best trained and qualified individual, to heck with race or any other personal preference.

• ?

Well blacks are a very racist race. Black males want to go around calling people racist names all day but when someone stands up to them they are the racist ones. You can't cry racism if your race is also very racist. Black people sold blacks into slavery --- not a black on white issue. Black Slavery was 10x worse in Brazil....

I've went to schools where I was a white minority so don't tell me I don't know. I used to have black males follow me home on a day to day basis calling me white-boy and trying to pick a fight. I've also been racially attacked and beaten by gangs.

• ?

There is a great market in the U.S. for babies, A white baby brings $45.000 a black baby brings $15.000, maybe that's racist, I don't know, the man may have known about the white baby being worth more, I wouldn't call him racist unless I know he is.

I'm somali and this is why I hate blacks you guys pull out the racial card it's getting old stop blaming all. Ur problems on the whites and take responsibility