What is STEAM? Tried to play a game, it said I need steam running?

I got Tomb Raider from a friend, and I installed it and everything, but when i tried opening it to play, it said I needed steam running. I new to the whole gaming thing. Could someone please tell me what steam is? and where i can get it?

• Rizer
    Favorite Answer

Steam is a major PC digital distribution platform for games, and don't worry, it is a legitimate and trustable service used by millions.

http://store.steampowered.com/

^Simply go there and install steam to get started (It's completely free). You'll need to log into Steam whenever you want to play Tomb Raider, hence that's why it said that Steam needs to be running.

To play Tomb Raider, you'll need to use your activation key to register the game to your Steam account.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

steam is like a online gaming community where you buy games chat with friends and etc.... to download steam it's free so no worries just go to this website www.store.steampowered.com then right hand corner there's a green button saying install steam then install it.. Then create a account then you will be all good...

Steam is an online game library that users can buy games from then download to whatever pc they can login to. Normally, purchasing a Steam game is done online via Steam's Store, but you can, for example, buy the cd of a Steam game from a store down the road and then you just need to link it to your Steam account.

Steam uses a small system tray app to manage your games, all you need to do after verifying your legitimate game cd is launch it from Steams app.

• Tonya

Steam is a online store to buy games for people who play games on pc. Some games require steam in order to play them. Its safe, free, and you just download it, make a username and password, then install your game... :)

Source(s): PC Gamer

Steam is a place where you can buy games and download them to your computer.

a place where u can interact with other players and discover new games that you may like... its kinda like a facebook for the gamers. here if u wanna play your game, u can download steam off of the website: www.steampowered.com/

you are no gamer