Do you think gender stereotypes are completely false?

I do. I have known more aggressive women than men. And a lot of women are NOT "carers" or "nurturers", I know full well this is not true. A lot of women just care about themselves and getting drunk.

And I have known some men who are very sensitive. And never seem to get angry.

So wouldn't you agree it's a little silly and dated to assume something based on someone's gender? It really pisses me off how people treat me a certain way because I am female. I don't fit into any of the stereotypes, and most females don't.

From really old people I will let it slide, but this generation should really know better. Agree?

@Claire no you misunderstood. I'm not angry at women. I'm angry at people who falsely stereotype women. Some women may be like that, but some men also. I don't like being judged by what other people "supposedly" are like. See me as an individual.

Favorite Answer

I agree with you that most gender stereotypes are false these days.

Maybe in times of yore women were 'nurturers' & 'carers' simply b/c they were not ALLOWED to work outside the home, thus homemaking & baby-making was the only thing they & society at large felt they were useful for.

HISTORY NOTE: At one time, women were not allowed to have a bank account in their name. They were not allowed to have a paycheck in their name--the check was either made to their husband or father, depending on whether or not they were married. They weren't allowed to eat in diners without an adult male to accompany them.

So with that history lesson, women really COULDN'T contribute anything to society other than babies. And most Christian religions taught that the pupose of a woman was to make babies & 'make a pleasant home'--exact phrasing I read in my research of the Womens' Movement. Most women bought into this & made a whole bunch of babies, even when they were dirt poor. Also the lack of birth control options made over-reproduction possible.

But that was a couple centuries ago, but old-husbands'-tales die hard. And there is a certain much-admired population that still subscribes to these archaic beliefs--Amish. I think as long as they are around & admired for all the wrong reasons, these notions of a woman's ideology will still persist.

I am not a 'carer' by nature. I had to be taught to be one by my current SO.

I'm definitely not a 'nurturer'. That's way beyond my scope of expertise.

I am not interested in shoes or clothing, other than making sure I have enough to cover my feet & body.

I use to like working on my car. I use to change my own oil & flush out my coolant system. I even did a brake job once--but it's too time-consuming & an error could put me in mortal danger, so I decided to pay to have that done.

I hate soap operas.

I don't even KNOW who the Kardashians are.

I've never read '50 Shades' nor do I have an interest since I heard the term 'mommy porn' used to describe it. Anything with the word 'mommy' used to describe it is against my morals.

Anyway, you get the point.

It's just that cliches die hard.

• So, I'm into gender studies, psychology, fashion, and gothic romantic roleplay. Almost all my friends are women. We can talk to each other about anything.

My girlfriend was into Left4Dead, Minecraft, hardcore porn, and her friends, mostly men, try to gross each other out by talking about sex. She's taller than me. She's stronger than me. You'd never know it to look at us. My shoulders are broad. My neck is thick as a pro-wrestler's. She's thin, like a model.

The happiest moments in our relationship were when she gave me origami flowers she'd made herself, and held me close...

The worst was when she raped me.

I'm not a fan of gender stereotypes.

Yes because that's the whole meaning of stereotype. They cannot define something as a whole. The aggression depends greatly on the person rather than their gender.

Some people embody stereotypes, so it could be argued that they are sometimes true. There's a novelist named Chimamanda Adichie who said something brilliant about stereotypes to the effect that "it is not that stereotypes are untrue, it is that they are incomplete". When we buy into stereotypes we buy into making assumptions about all people based on the realities of a select number of people. It is an informal Hasty Generalization logic fallacy.

• Claire

Gender stereotypes are powerful, complex social phenomena - they are certainly not just for those of "low intelligence" and they are not anything like as simple as the examples you give. Its arrogance to underestimate them. Trying to imagine a world without gender stereotypes is like trying to imagine a world with an extra colour in the spectrum - not impossible, but it's all conjecture because it's so far outside our experience.

People often define themselves and judge each other on their differences from the stereotypes, and according to their particular moral framework. You will encounter plenty of people who like and approve of you precisely because of your distance from the stereotype, so it works both ways.

Sounds to me like you are angry because some women haven't lived up to your expectations, rather than because you feel you have been stereotyped?

The harmful teachings of genetics have created a vast array of stereotypes, not just by the average person, but these days by educators and even researchers attempting to prove stereotypes and ignoring the many many environmental variables that shape all of our lives. As for gender stereotypes, there are so many that are believed. The false genetic models have created very false teachings that: boys mature later than girls mentally; that girls are multi-taskers more so; that boys are genetically more active; that girls are harder workers in school; that boys tend to play around and not learn; etc.

I feel the genetics model is hurting everyone. It is creating, feelings of hopelessness, anxiety, and lack of care, both for themselves and for others. Such false stereotypes can only exist when the public has been led and brainwashed to believe in genetic differences. "Only" by looking at our individual environments and the effects of our environments can we begin to see ourselves as equals and have hope for improvement. By showing students how their individual environments greatly affect their ability to learn, long-term motivation to learn, and grow mentally and emotionally, students will have much more respect and esteem for themselves and for others. By providing students with tools to approach their lives more delicately and differently to continually change and improve their lives, students will then have a continuous hope of developing in time, many if not all of the qualities they admire in others over time. Students will then have a continuous hope of changing and becoming newer and better persons with each day. This will reduce hopelessness and many harmful escapes created by the terrible teachings of fixed intelligences in school such as dropouts, drug/alcohol abuse, catharsis of violence, and suicide.

Gender stereotypes were created by men and never proven to be true or false

• Peach

Women scare me more than men do. I've seen some violent women in public and I think to myself no way am I getting inovled in this.

• RAWR

stereotypes are what people with low intelligence who cannot think for themselves rely on in order to "make sense" of the world.

• Hadean

They are all false.

My uncle in law is more nurturing than his wife (my aunt) with their kids.