kiran
Lv 5
kiran asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 7 years ago

why doesn't london have any super tall skyscrapers like new york?

london is one of the most engaged cities of the past 100s of years. it doesn't have many tall buildings. there is really no skyline. is there a reason for this?

why don't most of the large european cities have any super tall skyscrapers?

US, australia, canada, mexico, china and japan all have several building hudreds of meters taller than any in europe.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • RR
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

It is difficult to build tall buildings in London because it sits on clay. Massive piles have to be driven deep into the ground.

Additionally, we have many historic buildings and don't want them smothered by skyscrapers.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Firstly, London is built on clay. Massive foundations have to be dug to avoid any really tall building sinking into the ground. New York is built on solid rock so it doesn't have that problem. I would imagine that made the New York subway more difficult to dig than London's Underground. The problem with London's Underground is keeping water out of the tunnels, especially around the River Thames.

I've lived in outer London all my life and the clay soil is a real pain for gardeners. It's thick, heavy, sticky stuff and digging it over in readiness to plant things is a real workout.

Secondly, there are a number of protected views in London which prevent skyscrapers blocking the view of historic buildings. Planning permission would be refused for anything that blocked the view. That's mostly the reason why other European cities don't have them either.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Oh London like any city has a skyline, just not a tall one............ most of Europe is historic, much the the major cities are already mapped out, planned and build centuries ago, America is a 'new' country started from a blank land and could build with engineering and building knowledge they have now and London in particular is in Britain and tiny island compared to America..tall buildings compared to historic beautiful buildings........ maybe that is why so many tourists come to Europe from those countries that have super tall skyscrapers..........

• 7 years ago

The London Building Act of 1894 resticted buildings to a certain size, The views of St Paul's Cathedral, The Tower of London and the Palace of Westminster (aka The Houses of Parliament) are protected meaning that tall buildings cannot be built certain eyrline.

On a clear day from outside my flat (apartment for Americans) in North London I can see the towers of Canary Whary (over 20 miles away), a lot of tall buildings would ruin that view.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Berlin provides an modern mixture of new and basic structure, dynamic amusement, buying, and a wide variety of activities and national institutions and if you want to see after that it that hotelbye is the place to start. A few of the points you can see listed below are: the Old Museum, the National Gallery, the Bode Museum, Old National Gallery or, the image of Germany, the Berlin Wall. This wall began his life in 1961 when East Germany closed off the western part of the city to stem the flooding of refugees from east to west. By enough time it was divided down in 1989, the 4 meter large wall and 155 kilometres extended, dissected 55 roads, and possessed 293 statement systems and 57 bunkers. Nowadays, just small extends with this graffiti-covered travesty remain, including a 1.4-kilometer grow preserved as part of the Berlin Wall Memorial, a chilling reminder of the animosity that when separated Europe.

• 7 years ago

Some of the views of historic buildings are protected. This means that there are great strips of land which either can't be built on, or buildings can be no more than a certain height. It would be a shame to lose the wonderful buildings amongst skyscrapers.

• 7 years ago

The answer can be this: The availability of space to build new buildings in Europe, India, South Africa Russia etc is more as compared to cities of US, Australia, Canada, Japan etc.

Also all European cities have cultural heritage in their structures, unlike other countries which are mostly new!

See this: London, Berlin, Paris, Johannesburg and other cities have space to grow horizontally. But New York, Sydney, Tokyo, LA, Toronto ( How can I forget Chicago!!) now can't develop horizontally, maybe because of government environmental rules. Also, most of these cities are at sea coast!

Consider this example from India:

New Delhi is expanding horizontally and covered Noida, Gurgaon and other small cities in it. But Mumbai being a coastal city cannot develop horizontally. That is why Mumbai has better skyline than New Delhi.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Delhi may be the capital city of India also known as New Delhi and domestically Dilli. Delhi is the main arrival place for international tourists and you may be among that tourist; have a look with hotelbye . Among the areas many visited in Delhi may be the Bahai Temple. This Temple is based atop the Kalkaji Hill and it is also called "The Lotus Temple" because of its unique lotus formed design in marble. Bahai Temple was integrated 1987 by the followers of Bahai faith. The Temple signifies the love and equality of all religions. Another place to see in Delhi is Gandhi Smiriti. In this museum are displayed: images, statues, paintings, frescos, inscriptions on stones and relics pertaining to the decades Mahatma Gandhi used here. The meagre particular ramifications of Gandhiji also are carefully preserved.

• 7 years ago

Why would you want it to? I'm not from London but I know I'd rather look at all their old historic buildings and architecture than a mass of tall steel glass fronted monstrosities. That goes for the rest of the UK too - wee towns, not just cities, with statues and artwork carved into the stone of their old buildings - you wont find that in many places in the US.

• 7 years ago

London is a very old city and so alot of the building are from an age before sky scrapers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.