Anonymous

Black people (and anyone else with insight on the subject): Do you like Tyler Perry?

Tyler Perry seems to be a controversial figure especially within the black community. A lot of us support him and admire him for being a writer, director, and producer with his own studio who material caters to black people-- something the rest of Hollywood has no interest in doing. On the flipside, a lot of us feels that he exploits his black audience. Some of us feel that he does nothing but perpetuate our stereotypes and some have even critisized him for being a fraud.

What do you think of Tyler Perry?

My opinion: I am not a fan of all of his work. I especially hate Madea because I don't find her funny. I do feel that he uses excessive and often exaggerated stereotypes as the sole basis of his comedies. Perhaps I haven't seen enough of his movies/plays, but the few that I have seen were like this. I don't find it entertaining when white people do this and Perry is no exception. It's just way too redundant and he should find another way to be funny. BUT the messages in his films are very relevant to us. He once said in an interview that he writes scripts based on a lot of what he grew up seeing and experiencing. I understand that because I, too, had a strong and wise matriarchal grandmother like Madea. In his recent movie "Temptation", a lot of people complained that he was exploiting the antics of the [black] baptist church, BUT was he lying in his portrayal? That's exactly how I grew up and that's how many other blacks grew up. Why are black people suddently ashamed? In "For Colored Women" a lot of black men were angry because they felt that Perry was intentionally tryng to make black men look like satan. But Perry simply replied that he was trying to highlight issues that black women go through that are largely ignored in society. Why are black people ashamed to shed light on the things that a lot of black women suffer from secretly? And then there are the accusations of Perry casting lighter skinned blacks in the "saint" roles and darker skinned blacks in the evil or battered roles...but I guess that I haven't seen enough of his movies to observe if that is true or not. In conclusion, though I am not a fan of everything Perry does I like him overall because he is a diverse writer who tries to touch on black life from different angles. I don't always like the angle that Madea comes from, but I admire the messages that he tries to send through her. And in Temptation, our young girls obsessed with guys with the most hyped statuses can learn that EVERYTHING THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD!!! The movie wasn't perfect, but again...it was a good message very relevant to us.

What do you guys think?

A lot of people say that he has the same plot/theme in each of his movies but I don't think so...His plots are very diverse. Madea is very different from The Family That Preys and The Family That Preys is very different from Alex Cross, which is different from Why Did I Get Married and its sequel...And when I think of someone who makes money off the the troubles of black people, I think of Lil' Wayne and the rest of the commerical rappers who became millionaires glamorizing a lifestyle that has killed physically and mentally hundreds of thousands of black Americans, but more people antagonize Tyler Perry than they do Lil' Wayne...

@ Sell My Soulo: The play "What' Done In the Dark" had so many excessive, exaggerated stereotypes that I cringed. Stereotypes can be funny and I'm not all that sensitive when people use it as entertainment sometimes, but Perry uses it excessively as the only basis of some of his comedies. It then gets redundant and not funny anymore. He needs another way to be funny because he has exhasuted all of the stereotypes.

@ HisLove: He focuses on black women because no one else does. And for that, a lot of black men hate him and accuse him of being gay. Most black male producers focused largely on black men (Spike Lee, John Singleton) but when a black producer comes along who wants to focus on black women everyone has a problem with it.

• Zer0
    Favorite Answer

His movies/shows are very well done tri-genre's for the most part in my opinion.... he knows how to mix Romance, Comedy and Drama very well.

I don't think he stereotypes too much at all, at least from what I've watched from him, which is;

- Meet the Browns: This show is okay, two black doctors, I don't think that is stereotyping at all... Mr. Brown is a funny dude. But there is no "black" stereotypes hardly at all. The teenage girl is a typical teenage well-off girl.

- House of Payne: This show has more stereotypes then Meet The Browns by far. Still I find the show pretty good.

- I Can Do Bad All By Myself: very good movie, very good... nothing stereotypical about this movie at all. One of the best movies I've ever seen to be honest.

- Why Did I Get Married Too?: Pretty good movie. There was only one girl who might fit a stereotypical "loud" black women... that's hardly stereotyping though WHEN it's only one person.

- Madea's Family Reunion

- Madea Goes to Jail: Very good actually, it has TWO plots into one movie which correlate to each other.

- Madea's Big Happy Family: Most people are not stereotypical again, there are a few... like the "hoodrat" chick but all in all, again, hardly any.

- Good Deeds

I'll say Madea Goes to Jail and I Can Do Bad All By Myself are his best movies.

So I've enjoyed every Tyler Perry film I've seen.

I think some people just damn overreact. The media is RUN off of stereotypes, if you've not seen this, you're naive. Tyler Perry uses much less stereotypes then most movies... you want to know a movie that is full of them? "Undercover Brother"

Anything with Martin Lawrence is super stereotypical (most of his movies) but I love Martin Lawrence... super funny dude. I know he's an actor but the movies he is in do stereotypes the right way typically.

@Asker, well I don't watch his plays lol... don't play to, I don't really like watching "plays" unless they're transitioned into movie format, much like all of his movies.

And his plots are not really that similar, I mean, they ALL involve ROMANCE basically, which is WHERE these people get the idea... and in like 2 or 3 of the films I've watched, a girl was rap3d... but I don't think that means "exact same plot"... I Can Do Bad All By Myself and Madea Goes to Jail are nothing alike.

I am more a fan of his "drama/romances" that have hints of comedy in them. His TV shows are funny IMO because the "fat guys" in each show make me laugh.

• Yes, I agree with everything you said. It's harsh, but the majority of Tyler Perry's work follows the same predictable storyline. And they do have a tendency to be stereotypical.

Though some of his movies are enjoyable and I think the Madea movies are all in good fun, I get tired of the same plot in each movie. Someone's on drugs, there's an angry black woman somewhere, and a sexy well-known black actor bares his chest in every other scene. His movies only reach a specific demographic, and the black baptist church thing is only a handful of African Americans. Not every black person in America grew up this way. I think he has his generation in mind. People who are not strangers to drug addiction and inner-city violence.

It is very redundant, and that is why I rarely get excited for a movie that he produces, and I'm sorry but every other black film for that matter. This is coming from an African American.

I don't care for him.

He constantly makes movies with the exact same themes. The movies are not that funny. They are ignorant. He makes money off of these things because people will believe the stereotypical acts and behaviors of black people due to the fact that he is.. well black.

He makes money off of the hurt and pain that many black people have gone through.

I'm sorry but I do not support people due to the fact that we share the same racial heritage or culture.

He's boring and predictable.

Also, the BEST directors always make a movies every several years. TP makes two movies every year or whatever.

I am proud of Tyler Perry's journey and his success. He isn't in my top 5 favorite filmmakers. But some of his work looks good on screen. Some of the comedy is corny, but that may be the point...its comedy. Tyler has said himself that he never went to film school. He was doing theater stage work. He is still learning how to transition to film. He said he is basically learning on the job. I believe eventually Tyler Perry will become a better filmmaker, because he is driven and works hard. He's doing pretty good for a self-taught filmmaker.

I don't always love the writing. I did love FOR COLORED GIRLS because of how the film looked. Just put Janet Jackson on the screen...his films are cast well.

I don't have much insight on the subject, being white and all...but I did grow up being in close contact to a lot of poor people (mostly white. My family ourselves aren't exactly rolling in cash either), and a lot of the problems in his movies, like drug addiction, not being able to afford food, is something that needs to be called attention to. If he showed white drug addicts and poor people, I'd love that as well because it needs to be talked about. Not only that, but there's the whole thing with his showing experiences of women who're victims of abuse. My mom and sister adore his movies in part because THEY can relate to the abused women in his movies that triumph over their abusers. I can as well, because my mom's ex-stepfather was a lot like some of the abusive men in his movies, towards me as well.

Not only that, but I actually do like his Christian themes, even though I'm (obviously) not a black church-goer, but still a church-goer. I loved it how he shows that the good people get rewarded in the end and the wicked get punished, that some people can be redeemed despite being horrible. One of my favorite quotes from any movie is whenever Charles in Diary says "God has the power to show you He's God."

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that even though he focuses on black people, his themes, stories, and characters are something that people who aren't black can relate to their own lives and take away things from his movies.

And anyone who ACTUALLY believes in the stereotypical humor, "that's what all them (black people) are like" is a complete ******* moron. I think it's hilarious, but I'd be an idiot if I thought the buffoonery in the movies reflected the realities of the black community. Any white person who believes that that's what all black people are like? They're racist and STUPID.

But I do agree he needs to find other humor besides relying on stereotypes, and that it can be offensive when done. Hell, if he wanted to start making white people stereotypes as humor, I'd love laugh my *** off at that as well!

Also, it's not just non-white racial jokes I find funny. I love white people jokes as well. If someone came along and made a movie showing, for example, some white people who smoke weed because it's "spiritual, man", make clothes out of wheat, talk about "OMG YOU'RE KILLING MOTHER EARTH", pretend to be Native American when they don't know anything about real Natives*, etc., I'd ******* laugh my *** off. Actually, White Chicks sort of did the whole white people stereotype thing, and I thought ALL the white people jokes in that movie were hilarious, and I can't count the number of white people I know who feel the same way.

*On a side note, I hate it whenever white people make up stuff about their so-called Native American "spirituality/ancestry". I ******* hate that some rich white twats will pay a Medicine Man to go on a spirit journey whenever there are poor Natives on reservations who just want to go through their right of passage. That and the fact that, unlike what white woo-woo freaks do, actual Native Americans worship the Creator and thank him for the rocks and the trees rather than worshipping the rocks and trees (that is an exact quote from a Native woman when she was mad about white woo-woo freaks who steal from her culture). And that's the just tip of the iceberg with these stupid, racist white woo-woo freaks.

So yeah, that's why, I as a white guy, love Tyler Perry. I hope I didn't offend any black people out there, and your opinion is more important than mine because you actually know more than I do. This is just my opinion, and it may very well be completely wrong.

He's still around? Haven't seen anything since "diary of a mad black women"