Slavery in the Midwest?

I'm doing this essay for History class and I am supposed to be talking about the major differences between the North, South, and Midwest during the 1800's. I have a majority of it done, but I know nothing about the Midwest. Can somebody please tell me what slavery, the economy, and industrialization was like during the mid 1800's in the Midwest? This paper is due tomorrow and I would really appreciate it!

• lwhhow
    Favorite Answer

The 'Midwest' at the time was the states of...Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota. They were all non slave free USA/ Union North states.

Up through the Civil War (ended 1865) with the exception of Ohio they had all just become states 1820-1860. They were just starting to industrialize.......... and were populated mostly by hard working middle class free white farmers, tradesmen, loggers from the American NE and New England with prosperous towns, joined by immigrant farmers mostly from Scandinavia, Germany and Canada. They were very happy to have become states and thankful to have land to farm, jobs and to be doing pretty well and looked forward to the future and money/ business/ railroads coming from the East....and because of that absolutely hated the Southern states/ Confederacy.....for what they saw as ruining the Midwest's chance, being disloyal to the country, and trying to bust it up.

They were very pro USA, pro Union, and North and considered Abraham Lincoln their hero. Although they didn't know or care much about slavery or the African American slaves (and probably never saw one) they furnished the Union with it's most manpower to defeat the South and keep the USA together.

Although it had started about 1840 the Midwest didn't really industrialize till (1870-1900) after the Civil War ended 1865.

*Note...Missouri...on the border between the South, Midwest, the West and not really in any region stayed a Union state but had been a 'slave state' for the South too and was split 3 ways by guerrilla fighting in the war, but except for it's NE edge it was not really considered a part of the Midwest' then.