Question about Diabetes?
Hi, this sounds like a stupid question but is it possible to get type 2 diabetes if you are not overweight/ obese? I'm not overweight but I'm so afraid of getting diabetes!
- gangadharan nairLv 77 years agoBest Answer
Risk factors for getting diabetes:--
* Tobacco smoking.
* Inactivity.(Sedentary occupation)
* Consumption of more carbohydrate diet.
* Age greater than 45 years
* Excess body weight (especially around the waist)
* Family history of diabetes
* Given birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds (If female)
* HDL cholesterol under 35 mg/dL
* High blood levels of triglycerides, a type of fat molecule (250 mg/dL or more)
* High blood pressure (greater than or equal to 140/90 mmHg)
* Impaired glucose tolerance
* Metabolic syndrome
* Polycystic ovarian syndrome
* A condition called acanthosis nigricans, which causes dark, thickened skin around the neck or armpits
- 5 years ago
My husband is 72, an avid bicyclist (200 miles a week), 5' 10", 150 lbs., healthy diet, no family history of diabetes, no excessive thirst, no frequent urination, non-smoker, moderately high blood pressure (not on Rx), high cholesterol (on Rx). Fasting blood sugars in the morning range from 89 to 131. Possible to have diabetes?
- Anonymous7 years ago
there is a possibility you can get both types without being overweight. you can't control getting type 1, and type 2 is preventable, you just need to eat healthy and exercise regularly
- PatriziaLv 47 years ago
It is if you have a family history .. Not all diabetics are overweight
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Mr. SonnyLv 77 years ago
It's possible but if you control your weight & exercise, very unlikely.