Is Steven Seagal a Jiu-Jitsu martial artist?

I saw Steven Seagal on movies and when he fights he throws people around. Is that Jiu-Jitsu? The one from Japan not Brazilian.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No. Steven Seagal is a 6th or 7th dan Aikidoist shihan.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Nope, Steven Seagal is an Aikido guy. Aikido is a Japanese style based mainly on throws and locks, and Seagal is pretty good at them.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

He is a real martial artist. Aikido may look silly, but a seasoned practitioner can move you around with ease. Steven Seagal may look like the world pie eating champ, but I am sure he can still kick my butt. Unless I distract him with a hot dog...

• Ben
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

As people have answered above, Segal is a 7th Dan in Aikido and is a sought after MMA trainer. What people do not know is that he began his training in Karate and has trained under Muay Thai and Kung Fu masters. Throwing people is pure Aikido however.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Seagal is a 7th Dan, I have no clue where people are getting second from. Anyway Callsignfuzzy answered your question.

• 7 years ago

As mentioned he is a second degree black belt in the Japanese art of aikido, it used locks and throws alot using your attackers momentum and body weight to your advantage... Really interesting and complex art... I'm a kenpo student and aikido is my second fav style next to kenpo

• 7 years ago

Stevan segal is a second degree black belt in akido which teaches strictly defense. However it was deprived from jiu-jitsu.

• 7 years ago

His background is primarily Aikido:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH6HtkySiCQ

Youtube thumbnail

If you trace it back far enough, Aikido has its roots in classic Jujitsu, but is itself an outgrowth from it, so technically is not Jujitsu.

• 7 years ago

no,aikido

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.