Do you agree or disagree and Why?

Here is the quote:

"The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way." (Grace Murray Hopper)

your turn to think outside the box :D...

Favorite Answer

The most damaging ? Perhaps, if it holds back progress. In many cases we should continue to do things the 'old way '. Ever notice, many people, and or companies are always trying to fix things that aren't broken, until they are ?

I disagree. There are far more damaging phrases that people could produce. Phrases associated with hatred, for example. There are also phrases associated with murder, like the order given to soldiers (or any follower) to kill innocents.

Some of the most damaging phrases I can think of include those that call for people to do the right thing even though it isn't truly the right thing. That is, neither the leaders nor the followers see that what they're doing is wrong. They see themselves as right even though they're wrong, and this is truly scary because once a mind is set on something that it strongly believes is right, it will fight for it and almost never give up.

To think outside the box means being open-minded and teachable which is a good thing.

This applies to religion but also to diet and disease treatment or cures.

Don't accept what the majority believe especially when the evidence does not support it.

Example, a high-carb low-fat diet which includes refined sugar and flour causes high triglycerides and low HDL yet this is the diet that has been publically promoted for decades. Truth be known, a high-fat low-carb diet reduces triglycerides and raises HDL. It may take decades for the public to accept this but the truth is out. http://www.controlcarb.com/ccn-news-Triglycerides....

I cured my basal cell carcinoma which was diagnosed by a dermatologist who wanted me to have MOH surgery and then plastic surgery afterward at the cost of who knows what. Just $25 for an ointment made with natural ingredients cured not only the diagnosed skin cancer on my face but also a spot on my back and numerous spots on my scalp.

There are hundreds of natural cures that cure cancer to a much greater percentage than the standard slash,burn and poison techniques used by modern medicine and it is indeed damaging because it means peoples lives.

Even more damaging are the lies taught by false religion because that means peoples eternal lives.

I disagree. The most damaging phrase in human language has to do with discrimination and prejudice. The phrase you raised qualifies as a bit silly but by no means most damaging.

• Kira

I agree, it is one of the most damaging phrases . It stops all kinds of human advancement.

Example:

We don't need cars. I think we should keep riding horses, it has always been done that way.

• Joppa

and they wonder why the past repeats itself.

Krishnamurti says that a problem is always new and yet we insist (mostly) to approach it with old ''solutions''.

Its a very damaging phrase and mindset.

Traditionalist need to get their act together.

I agree. That phrase denotes a lack of desire for growth.

disagree - it only expressed ones philosophy, they are many more to choose from to agree with...

My answer to that would be who cares?