Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How to Kill the Why game with toddlers?

I have a 3 year old niece, and she's not that

curious. But whenever I babysit her she asks if I'll 'stay there for the ever' and when I say I can't, she goes 'WHHHHY???'

And no matter what answer I give, she goes 'WHHHHHY?'

How do I kill the why game? What can I say?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I have always said "Why do you think *whatever they were asking why about*?"

It leads to some interesting discussions.

• ?
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

All you can do is distract her with something, like a toy. When my nephew was a young toddler (he'll be turning 5 this September <3 ), I went through the same thing. One time, after it went on for almost 10 minutes, I just bursted out laughing. He stopped, looked at me, and forgot to ask me any more "why" questions. That's what I did from then on, and it worked almost every time! :)

• 4 years ago

The Why Game

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It's not a why game, it's toddlers trying to learn about their world. They all do it. Because to them everything is brand new and fascinating.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Just stop responding altogether to the word "why".

• 8 years ago

there isn't much you can do except stop talking to the kid, or give her something else to do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.