WHAT DIRT BIKE SHOULD I GET?

Hey guys so I'm 14. I have a 1994 kx100(in great shape though) that I ride. I'm an OK rider, but I have my heart set on motocross and I am doing everything I can to get better. My main problem is that I can only go to the track like 2 times a month. Anyways I'm 5' 11" and 160lbs, so I'm a bit large for the 100. I'm thinking about getting a yz125, or a crf250r, but both of them are pretty damn expensive! My parents won't buy me a bike and I didn't expect them to, and this whole motocross dream is on me lol. I have found so many nice cr250's and kx250's (2 strokes) for really cheap (<$1500). The yz125's all cost around $2500, and the crf250r's around $3000. So what I am getting at...Would a 250cc 2 stroke bike be too much for me???? I just don't want to kill myself...

(BTW I have ridden a yz125 and a pimped out cr125 and I rode them both faster around the track than my kx100...so the size of a bigger bike doesn't scareme, just the power).

THX SO MUCH GUYS 10 POINTS TO THE BEST ANSWER

Favorite Answer

Go with a Crf250r, Honda four strokes are bullet proof. You're a little old too start racing. I started racing when I turned 5. But if you get a bike, and Practice every day, and Put your mind set too only motocross. Get a good workout routine going. Get too the track atleast 2 times a week, or build a track in your backyard. I used to race in the 450a class at my locals and sometimes out of state. Now I do enduro races and desert races. Competed in the Baja 500 last year. If this is what you really want talk to your parents seriously, No joking around.

Good luck, Wyatt

Source(s): MMI mechanic, Been in the motocross business for 17 years.

Quite the bikes for any individual your age spoil down into two classes. Play bikes (path bikes) and race bikes. Take Honda for example. You will have a CRF150R that is a race bike and a CRF150F that may be a play or path bike. Your competitors bikes will probably be water cooled and your play/trail bikes shall be air cooled, but the differences do not stop there. It's an effective way to inform them aside although. Clearly a competition bike shall be so much turbo, so much lighter, and have a lot better suspension. It is going to also fee rather more than the trail bikes. It is not possible, inside a cheap budget, to make a play/path bike work almost as good as a real competition bike. You relatively just have got to look at what type of using you plan to do. If you're simply cruising the trails and no longer doing any gigantic jumps a trail bike is high-quality. Should you plan to race MX or woods you want an actual race bike.

Id go with a yz, rm, cr or kx 250, u will learn to respect the power pretty quick. The more seat time u get on a 250 2 stroke the better u will be in motocross. The 125's are fast and fun but I think u will get tired of it quick and find ur self looking for a 250. Ur a good size boy so I think u can handle it.

I'd work my way into the horsepower of a 250. I did that with ATVs started with a 250 and went to a 400, 500, 650, and now 700. Build yourself up the power. With age comes the respect for speed.

Im 15 and only 5' 5" and ride a KX250F, its deffinately a big step up from a 100 but its a little tall for me but should be good for you. It will take a while to get used to the power though. It just takes some getting used to.

Get the yz125 or cr125, just keep looking for a good deal and you will find one eventually. Don't be afraid to bargain with them and lowball them.