Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 7 years ago

new diabetic, what do i eat?

i will be going to a doctor soon, but last night i went to the ER and was told im diabetic, type 2 the dr didnt tell me what i can or cant eat, just told me to go online and see what they say. my problem is all i see is what i cant eat.

what i want is just a list of some things i can eat in the meantime. i know chicken, fish, broccoli, but what are some other things thats okay for me?

• Kai
    Favorite Answer

Meats, seafood, eggs have little or no carbohydrates so you can eat those but be very careful if they have sauces because the sauces usually have a lot of carbs (carbs are what you will forever have to be careful about, they turn into glucose in your body). Eat leafy greens--not just lettuce but collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, bok choy, kale, spinach, etc. Eat salad greens too though. All of these will come with some carbs but in small enough quantities and they have so many other nutrients you need. Cut out all sugar if at all possible, save those for rare occasions. Eat root vegs minimally--both in small quantities when you do eat them, and then don't eat them all the time (potatoes of any kind, winter squashes with hard outer shells, carrots, other vegs that grow underground). Snack on nuts. Drink lots of water, plain coffee, plain tea. You can have artificial sugar but you will have to test yourself (prick to take a blood test) to see which ones give you the least amount of glucose rise (we are individuals and don't react to everything the same). And get used to reading food labels--look at the total carb count (doesn't matter how it's broken down, a carb is a carb is carb no matter what the source), and the serving size. If you eat rice, make it brown rice or wild rice that still hasn't been highly processed which will still give you just as much carbs but at least they will digest slowly so you won't spike. Same with grain products, make them as whole grain as possible so they at least digest slowly. Be careful about anything made with grain (carbs). Try to get away from usual processed food as much as possible so you can control what goes into your food (so many already prepared foods are loaded with sodium and hidden sugars, preservatives, additives, etc. just to make them taste good). You don't have to cut any food out of your life, just cut way back on the things that are known to raise your blood glucose. I eat egg omelettes for breakfast, or leftover meat, or legumes (lentils especially 'cause I like them so much and I don't get hungry again for hours and hours). Legumes will contribute a carb load but they have so many positive nutritional value I eat them (in small quantities). Learn to use spices. Eat yogurt but stay away from the ones that have sugar--you can get plain yogurt and mix it with fresh berries (and your own artificial sweetener if you must). Have one fruit (about the size of a fist, or about 1/2 cup) each day--you'll get fructose (fruit sugar) but fruit is good for us. Avoid fruit juice because you need the pulp and skins to slow down glucose release. Aim for meat'n'veggies (I almost always eat a salad even if there are cooked veggies, just to help fill me up and the fibre is good for me) with just a small portion of starchy carbs if you must have them.

1

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure : http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?DBJv

2

Source(s): I Cured My Diabetes : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?Xrff

In my diabetic management class they showed a plate divided into four quarters. One was meat, one was starchy carbs (potatoes, corn, winter squash, grains) and the other half was non-starchy carbs, like the raw vegetables found in salads. These non-starchy carbs are often called "free foods" for diabetics because you have to consume a whole lot of them (probably more than you can eat) before they significantly affect your blood sugar.

A serving is considered 15 grams of carbs. You can have 3 servings in your meal. So look at those Nutrition Facts labels and decide how much of your favorite foods you can eat in a meal, and eat only that much.

There are diabetes management classes offered at hospitals. They cost a lot but if your physician diagnoses you with diabetes, your insurance company should pay for most, if not all, of your tuition.

Carbohydrates are mainly what raise blood sugar because they convert to glucose in the blood. While there's no need to avoid carbohydrates, you do need to moderate your intake and even avoid certain sources, as well as test your blood sugar. Ask your doctor for a prescription for glucose meter test strips so that you can do that testing.

So what are the most egregious blood sugar offenders? We're all very different, so I will be speaking in generalities. *Generally*, breads, pasta, tortillas, rice, beans, corn, oats, potatoes, milk, sweet fruits, and sugar (obviously) tend to raise blood sugar the most. Carbohydrates that often impact blood sugar the least are non-starchy vegetables (like broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, asparagus, cabbage, lettuce, etc.), nuts, seeds, cream cheese, and heavy whipping cream, to name a few.

Meat, most cheeses, and eggs contain zero or around a gram of carbohydrate per serving, so these are often the staples of a Type 2 diabetic diet.

I can't tell you how many grams of carbohydrates to eat per meal or per day, but your blood sugar meter will help. I can tell you that the types of carbohydrates matter, not just the total grams, and that you may find bread raises your blood sugar a LOT more than an equivalent amount of carbohydrate from vegetables, for example. Your carbohydrate tolerance may be worse in the morning, so keeping your breakfast low in carbohydrates is often a good idea. Think: bacon and eggs. What you pair carbohydrates with can matter. Protein and fat may slow down the digestion, so just because you don't see a blood sugar spike at 1 or 2 hours doesn't mean you won't have one.

You don't need to limit yourself to low-fat meats. Fat doesn't raise blood sugar or have a negative impact on cholesterol when you follow a low-carb diet. So if you want beef or pork, just have it. Fish is very healthy, too, as is seafood generally, but red meats are perfectly fine, as well. I cook with real butter, real cheese, full-fat cream, etc. I do not limit fat.

• Noccie

Read the nutrition labels on EVERYTHING. Reduce your carb intake as much as you can. Do not try to eat zero carbs because that is neither practical or healthy. Look up the Atkins Diet, South Beach Diet, or Sugar Busters - all are low carb diets.

• Suzan

3

Source(s): Eliminate Diabetes Forever http://ReverseDiabetesToday.enle.info/?dEOD

protein and veggies and keep carbs low at each meal

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/plan...

do some label reading and you will see if you use carb counting some things you can not have much of but other things you can have lots of