Does this mean you can never lose your salvation? John 10:28?

John 10:28

I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

Jesus said his people will never perish and nobody can snatch them out of his hand.

What does this scripture really mean?

And what does Jesus really mean when he said this?

Favorite Answer

No, John 10:28 does not mean that you can never lose your salvation. In John 10:28, Jesus is talking about "his sheep" that God gave to him, and these sheep follow Jesus (verses 25-29; Hebrews 2:10-13; Matthew 23:8-9; John 6:44; John 5:20-27). We must continue in the faith, and this means that it is possible for us to choose not to continue in the faith (Acts 14:22; James 2:17-26). If someone stops following Jesus, how then are they his sheep (Luke 6:46; Matthew 7:21-23; Luke 6:45-49; John 15:10)? They would have left the flock of their own accord, and have become a lost sheep (Psalms 119:176; Luke 15:4-7). If John 10:28 did mean that it was not possible for us to lose our salvation then there would be no more need for repentance (1 John 1; 2 Corinthians 12:19-21). If we sin we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous (1 John 2:1-2; 1 John 4:9-10; Romans 3:24-26; John 3:16; Hebrews 7:24-28; Hebrews 9:14).

Romans 6:1-16,23 (KJV)

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

• easdon

John 10 28

• ?

If one receives Salvation. And goes about doing what they were always doing before hand. That they are still living in the World. Not in Jesus Christ who died for them. To take away their Sin and give them Eternal life. Theologists really have no idea on this subject. But keep in Mind,

Jesus Christ Is GOD in the Flesh. Not a Fool!

God Bless Ya,

Chicago Bob

imasinner

There is more joy in Jesus in one day.

Than there is in the World 365/24/7

I know, I tried them both.

Numbers 6:24-26

Source(s): My ideaer.

What it means is that their is nothing that man can do in their evil ways that will ever allow them to take our children after they die away from their salvation forever.

their are those who lose their salvation even other Christians. My guilty abuse Priests and false accusers are just a few examples.-Jesus Christ

Source(s): Apostle James the Greater
  • Esther

Yours is a fair question. I think what this means is exactly what it says. A Christian can be assured of their salvation if they abide in Christ, exactly like He told us to.

Let's say a person claims to be a Christian but lives a life of sin. They are unrepentant of that sin. They insist they can do whatever they like because they are "saved". Is that person going to go to heaven when they die? Well....I will leave that judgment to God. But personally speaking, I think it unwise to skate on such thin ice.

I'm not talking about someone who struggles with sin, but desires to overcome it by help from God. I'm speaking of wilful, unrepentant sin, doing things that God has expressly forbid in His word, and this person insists they are doing no wrong. I don't know about that person's eternal state.

I think when Jesus said "no one can snatch them out of my hand", He meant no power in the universe can take away a Christian who truly desires to follow Him. Is a person who willfully and continually sins, with no remorse, in that category? God will be the judge, but I would not want to be in that state.

I think there are plenty of verses, even entire parables of how people can screw it all up. It's not about being immoral, per se, it's about ceasing to continue on with the life of faith in Christ, like the five unwise virgins, and the lazy servant. In Christ, while we are continuing to be in Him, we can't lose! Not because we are morally superior, but because we are trusting of God through Christ; trusting in his promises.

The fake Christians wont be able to do it.

• JIM

yes, salvation is being made alive together with Christ alive spiritually, this is what Adam lost in the garden when he when he ate of the forbidden fruit. but the life we are raised to in eternal life so we can never lose salvation

Who's going to take your salvation away from you "the devil"...how can he do that? .

Greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world 1John4:4

Jesus was rarely quoted correctly in the bible. It is true that you or no one else can ever perish. Read the Conversations with God for God's truth.. God bless

• I'm guessing its another promise of heaven and eternal life.

Realistically his people should be everyone regardless of religious stance, not just those who follow him.