The Importance of Supreme Court Cases?

For a gov't project, we have to decide what the most important Supreme Court Case is out of 16. We are allowed to have are own criteria (decide what the amount of importance is based on).

I cannot figure out what I should use for my criteria.

my 16 cases are...

Marbury v. Madison

Branzburg v. Hays

Youngstown v. Sawyer

Gideon v. Wainwright

Bush v. Gore

Furman v. Georgia

Texas v. Johnson

Dred Scott v. Sanford

Miranda v. Arizona

Grisworld v. Connecticut

Schenck v. United States

Tinker v Des Moines ISD

Plessy v. Ferguson

Brandenberg v. Ohio

Hamdi v. Rumsfield

Roe v. Wade

Update:

I need help with choosing the criteria!!!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You've chosen a number of interesting cases. Some affect the whole of the population, but may or may not have lasting impact as landmark cases. Dred Scott contributed to the onset of the Civil War, affecting a lot of people both because of the war, and because it influenced outcome of the struggle to end slavery, but is has little or no value as a legal precedent today. Bush v. Gore decided the outcome of an election affecting the whole country at the time, but was it a landmark case? How many subsequent contested elections does one anticipate that ruling will impact?

Other cases on your list have affected narrower segments of the population, but clearly have had lasting impact. Miranda, for example, doesn't mean much to you if you are never arrested, and those never arrested comprise the vast majority of the population. But it may mean a great deal to you, if you are, and so far it has stood the test of time.

Then you have cases like Marbury, which many scholars consider to have firmly established the Supreme Court's power to rule on the constitutionality of acts of Congress. There is a case that in one way or another has affected the whole of the citizenry for over two centuries. Were I trying to measure the historical importance of Supreme Court cases relative to one another, Marbury's impact on the law, its durability as legal precedent, and the number of people it has affected over the past two centuries would put it at the top of my list, but there is no absolute right answer to your question. If you were Japanese General Tomoyuki Yamashita, and the year was 1946, the most important Supreme Court decision in history would be the Court's refusal to bar your execution for war crimes.

Source(s): Supreme Court Historical Society
  • buffin
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

The case of William Marbury towards the secretary of state James Madison is an predominant case in the historical past of the USA Supreme court docket. When Adams was once no longer reelected, he appointed many judges earlier than Jefferson took office. These are referred to as midnight judges for he was staying up unless the nighttime earlier than the inauguration appointing the judges. William Marbury was once one. When the brand new sec. Of state refused to provide him the job, he sued. Even though they agreed he should get the job, they could now not make Madison supply it to him. At the same time reviewing the case and the legal guidelines applied, they ruled a regulation to be unconstitutional. This established judicial evaluate which still plays an element in our authorized approach. This is how the supreme court docket can rule a legislation unconstitutuional when it is reviewed during a case.

• Mary
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Choose your criteria, which could be importance to government functioning and structure, importance in criminal law, importance to individual citizens, etc. ALL of those cases you list are important and historic. Some have been overturned. Others have not. Choose your criteria first, and then the rest will fall into place.

• 8 years ago

Too bad Dred Scott Decision isnt on the list. It's so important because it shows that the Court is willing to be politically and "legally" correct, rather than be morally correct.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

roe v wade

• 7 years ago

MARBURY v MADISON

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.