Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBasketball · 7 years ago

Mike Rice Firing: Was It Justified?

Was what Mike Rice did any worse than the way Bobby Knight treated his players years ago? The video I saw of Rice's practice sessions were a stroll on the beach compared to the practices I was a part of in high school and college, and those sessions certainly made me tougher.

Yet sources say that at least three wimps, er players, transferred or were preparing to transfer because of Rice's bully-boy tactics. I say the team is better off without them.

I think the thing that troubles me most about the video is the fact that it was released by an ex-employee who, presumably, had no problem with Rice's behavior as long as he was drawing a paycheck. If Eric Murdock found what Rice did so despicable, why not release the video to the media BEFORE he was canned?

My thinking is that he hopes this negative publicity helps him in his wrongful termination lawsuit against Rutgers: "Gee whiz, your honor, if the school mishandled the Rice matter so badly doesn't it stand to reason they botched my termination, as well"?

Murdock is using the players the same way that Rice did. The only difference is that Murdock is doing it for himself instead of the team or university.

Pitts- Time to create another profile. Judging from your comments I suspect it's your 4th or 5th of the day.

Favorite Answer

Im not trying to one up anybody. But my high school football coach would be uin prison for half the stuff he did to us and the language that came out of his mouth. Im sure a lot of other people can say the same thing. America needs to quit being so sensitive and weak. If Rutgers won the championship, the media would say, " He's a tough coach"

I think the problem is that if Rice's type of physical coaching is allowed to continue, where does the line get drawn? If a ball to the head is ok, what about a shove to the back? What happens after that? A fist? My personal view is that if the contact is intended to intimidate, or causes injury, the yes he should be fired. Slightly over-bearing when showing them what position they should be playing in? Subjective I guess.

I think if I were the deciding party, I probably would have let him go. There are plenty of other coaches out there who could achieve the results without drawing unnecessary and negative publicity to the team.

Source(s): Personal opinion

Yes, the firing was justified. If a husband treated his wife that way, or a parent treated his child that way, they'd be arrested. Yet you're saying Rices abusive behavior was all right, because he's a "coach".

An authority figure throwing things at people and calling them names is abuse. It's not justified under any circumstances. It does not make people "tougher", and it does not make them better basketball players, any more then a husband slapping his wife around makes her a better spouse.

I agree totally fine with me..butttt the aspect is these r still kids young men and putting ur hands on someone in that manner is rediculoius in the eyes of the world..and parents wouldn't want that for the kids. To name call kids the way he was is no way shape of form okay. So they did the rite thing, that dude took it way overboard. If u were treated like that I feel bad for u. And the kids that were mental abused by that. Its okay to get agressive and yell but dude pushing people ike that name calling throwing balls at someone and cursing them cuz u need to step ur coaching game up..not cool

• STEVE

No. What Mike Rice did is called "coaching." He shouldn't be fired just because a few sissies had a problem with his coaching methods.

Yes.

• Snid

I think he got set up.