How reliable is Snopes.com for dispelling urban legends and are there any better sources?

So I really enjoy snopes.com it always seems like I can go there and dispel all of the ridiculous facebook memes one by one. However, because I'd be no better than people that believe the stuff on facebook if I blindly believed the stuff on snopes, I looked into it. Apparently snopes is run by some random married couple somewhere? The Mikkelsons? I've also read that they don't always conduct proper investigations before giving the verdict on their stories. So what do you think answers community? Is snopes reliable? Is their anything better out there if not? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Snopes has been around for quite awhile and is considered a pretty reliable source.

It is run by a retired married couple but I hardly see what that has to do with anything. They do their research, cite their sources, and back up their findings. They have been wrong in the past, and make corrections when necessary. Seems like a lot of effort if they were simply trying to deceive folks.

Most of the rumors and junk that gets blindly reposted over and over again on Facebook are quite old - predating not just Facebook but the entire World Wide Web! The couple grew tired of getting the same junk passed through email and started researching these rumors so they could help spread some truth.

For some reason, they have come under fire recently because they are democrats.

Again, I don't understand what that has to do with anything. It seems there isn't anything people won't turn into a political issue nowadays.

• bounds

Is Snopes Reliable

• Mrbill

not to be trusted.