promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 7 years ago

what is the current anti aircraft system in use with the United states?

I know that the m48 chaprall and m163 pvads have been phased out, but what replaced them. does the U.S. army now just rely on the air force to defend against aircraft, or is there a new system that they now have???

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Mark F
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

U.S. Army ground formations are, with the withdrawal of M48A1-A3 Chaparral, M163 Vulcan, M6 Bradley Linebacker and MIM-23B I-HAWK protected by the United States Air Force, the United States Navy, RIM-92B Stinger (primarily on the AN/TWQ-1 Avenger self-propelled system), and MIM-104 Patriot. The Marines may still be using the 17 LAV-AD's they got but I am honestly not even sure about that and have heard rumors of their demise. Otherwise they rely entirely on Stinger.

The astute among you will have noticed there is a rather broad capability gap among the remaining ground-based interceptor systems (Stinger and Patriot) that was supposed to be filled by SL-AMRAAM (Surface Launched AMRAAM) and a joint project with European partners called MEADS. SL-AMRAAM, slated to replace the Avenger died two years ago of neglect, budget cuts and official disinterest. MEADS continues to be funded but the chances of it being procured by the United States are somewhere south of nil.

The problem of course is that everywhere the United States military has gone since 1945 it has enjoyed total air superiority courtesy of the United States Air Force. With the threat of a Soviet/Warsaw Pact invasion of western Europe now long in the past and no one on the horizon likely to challenge American air superiority on anything other than a very temporary, very local level ground-based air-defense gets no respect.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

For long range that would be the MIM-104 Patriot

• Kurt
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

Bro just play Call of Duty..you'll learn everything.

Source(s): Just Kidding
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.