Biblical Arguments Against Physician Assisted Suicide?

I have to do a debate in Philosophy soon, and I have to argue from a Reformed Christian worldview against physician assisted suicide (ex. a doctor giving a terminally ill patient drugs so they can kill themselves.)

I'm not very religious, so if anyone's studied the bible and can reference some verses that I could use in my debate, that'd be very useful!

Also, if you have any biblical arguments FOR assisted suicide, I'd like to here them also, so I can work on finding rebuttals to them B)

Please don't say anything like, "The Bible is wrong, it doesn't matter, blah blah blah" This has to be done from a reformed christian point of view arguing against other reformed Christians.

Let me restate that I HAVE to argue from a reformed christian point of view. This means that the Bible can be considered OBJECTIVELY TRUE.

Personally, I am agnostic and am for assisted suicide, this is why I'm here looking for alternate view points.

• unland

I'm not announcing i have a constant opinion on this discipline however, i'll play devil's advocate. The correct to play God and keep early beginning infants? Sure, that might be playing God because, it's giving existence. Taking life is for satan who involves steal, kill, and damage. Separation between church and state? If you are speaking concerning the pressures on politicians to do what the devout say to do you would say all decisions are church and state related. Final however now not least, Saul who disobeyed God ended up killing himself. As did Judas who betrayed Christ. So, is the movements in ones existence (if they defy God or no longer) define if they will commit Suicide?

I hope this answer isn't in the "blah blah blah" category but that has to be one of the biggest reasons I detest religion. Terminal cancer patients in agony begging to be put out of their misery but noooooo -- the doctors' hands are tied because some pious idiots think they should be able to stick their self-righteous noses into other people's suffering. Making euthanasia illegal is just plain sick and evil, there is NO rational justification for it. We do that much for a beloved pet. It is a mercy, not a sin. It makes me so mad I could just spit.

Understand what the bible really is...legends, docudrama, important topics of bronze age goat herders, living in a tri-level world... the sun and moon above, the earth in the middle, and sheol below.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Sooooooooooooo why are you asking what bronze age goat herder myths and legends would have to say about assisted suicide.???????

This is like asking, "What does the Bible say about the sins of Atomic Power Plants".

See the problem??????????????????????

Source(s): Science teacher 26 years. Decide for yourself if assisted suicide is even a good thing. Go to PBS. org. They ran a Frontline piece, called 'suicide tourist'. Watch it. It's about an hour.

I can't provide any biblical passages, but one of the best comebacks against any biblical argument is the separation of church and state, that it really shouldn't matter what the bible (or any religious dogma) says either way as far as the passing of laws.

From a natural law point of view it is wrong.

Humans have a dignity that transcends that of animals.

We cannot put people down like we do animals.

• G C

God is the God of life. All men are created equal and no one has the right to take a life of another equal. Because God has commanded each to live for Him, no matter what happens to you.

Death is of Satan, not God. Doing so or assisting so makes one the ambassador of Satan, not God.

@ Catholic Philosopher,

No one who wants "Death with Dignity" would put "someone down."

This is a issue for the dying person to be in control of and to choose.

Biblical argument #1 Thou shall not murder. That's it.

Jesus could have gotten himself out of that whole execution/crucifiction thing but he didn't so assisted suicide is really ok with Jesus.

Thou shalt not kill.