Thinking of moving to Dallas, Texas. What are the pros and cons?

I'm thinking of moving to Texas. I don't think I have any family in I'l have to ask my parents to make sure. If I do move I'll probably move with one of my friends and my dog. I was wondering what are the pros and cons? If it matters I am 21 and African American and I am a female. I have never lived in the south before but there is something about Texas that I like. I am more interested in living in Dallas so what are the pros and cons?

I'm from Michigan

Sorry I meant to add I'm also interested in Austin and Houston. I would rather live in a place diversity and that's more liberal and not so conservative. Which city has the better weather?

Also how is San Antonio?

Favorite Answer

Pros of Dallas include an abundance of jobs, strong economy, low cost of living, good school districts, tons of attractions and tons of attractions in the surrounding DFW metroplex the 4th largest in the nation and 10th in the world!

Another pro is safety areas near lakes like White Rock and Lake Ray Hubbard are nice and have meditterianian styled homes.

Nice areas of Dallas include University Park, Preston Hollow (houses can range up to 45 million in this area) Highland Park, Lake Highlands, Far North Dallas, Uptown/Downtown, Turtle Creek, Oak Lawn, and some parts of Oak Cliff.

The other comment about the guy stating there's a ton of African Americans is false.

Here's the demographic order greatest to least

1.White (still dominate Dallas and are beginning to migrate to the newly redeveloped areas of southern Dallas)

2.Hispanics( Probably going to be the biggest ethnic ratio in the next 10-20)

3.Blacks

4.Asians(Suprisingly for a city that's in the southwest Dallas has a large Asian community)

5. native Americans( Big communities as well because were so close to Oklahoma)

6. Other

Cons- Cant really think of any except for crime in certain areas, but this is common in all major/large cities.

I'll go with Dallas good economy, an abundance of jobs, tons of attractions including the largest state fair in the whole nation. Dallas has amusement parks, zoos, speed zone, State Fair of Texas, Aquariums. Art galleries, world class shoppig and dining, water parks, South Fork Ranch( Dallas T.V series is filmed there) To much stuff to name off!

Oh and did I mention Dallas is an Alpha world city, the only city in the southwest that can claim this.

• Donna

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avB8M

Ft. Worth is a very friendly city with lots of beautiful neighborhoods. It's where "West Texas" begins so the people are a lot more open and welcoming than Dallas. The city is outstanding for its visual arts. There are also good performing arts of all kinds. Theater and professional sports are better in Dallas, but that's only a 45 minute drive away. I think many people in Dallas are snooty about Ft. Worth. I think you will find it a little bit provincial after Miami, but certainly more laid back. I don't think crime is any worse than any other place. I cannot speak to the school system. You will appreciate the drier heat and having SOMEWHAT of a winter. Ft. Worth actually gets more snow and ice than Dallas does (that West Tx. vs. East Tx. thing).

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm thinking of moving to Texas. I don't think I have any family in I'l have to ask my parents to make sure. If I do move I'll probably move with one of my friends and my dog. I was wondering what are the pros and cons? If it matters I am 21 and African American and I am a female. I...

Source(s): thinking moving dallas texas pros cons: https://biturl.im/Xl2QN

I moved to Texas from growing up in Michigan, northern Illinois, and Iowa (for college) and suffered from culture shock - this was before all the lifelong Democrats suddenly turned Republican.

"Liberal" in Texas is extremely relative - someone running for office, in most cases, who attempts to be middle of the road and reasonable is stamped "too liberal for Texas" Having said that our county sheriff is a gay lady and there is a fair gay community.

There are lots and lots of African-American's in Dallas but they also range from extremely poor to solid middle class and I have no idea how functional your social situation would be, and I am not all that sure you can get a good answer on Y!A.

Austin is much more liberal and funky than Dallas, Houston is highly humid and stuffy and very spread out, and San Antonio, I think is on a par with it. I think Ft. Worth is nicer in a number of ways.

I think if I were in your situation (rather than being a white, 70 yo male who has lived here for 40 years) I would visit and hit places that you expect to find people like you - doing ordinary work - librarians, store clerks, higher or lower in scale, and ask them what they think.

Hey,

Im a 23 year old African American female. Im moving to Dallas in a couple months, I just would like to know what areas to AVOID.

Please Help.

Cons: Nothing but steers and queers

Pros: Good Mexican food

Dallas is so happening that it could take you. However, clear choice for you is AUSTIN, AUSTIN, and AUSTIN.

Other places are red neck Bubbas 100 and black women 1. Good luck

• 6 years agoReport

I have three children I relocated with from the northern Virginia area 9yrs ago. The city is growing in population by leaps and bounds. However, it is not growing for the AA demographic. http://m.kut.org/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F#mobile/10436. This is a serious factor to weigh.

what's wrong with steers and queers?