Navy abf. Please help?

Couple of questions. I leave to boot camp in three weeks. I'm starting to get cold feet. I looked into abf and it seems to be a horrible job where people are just miserable. I don't want to do it if that's the case. Just got a couple of questions.

1. Is it really that bad?

2. How often are we deployed? I heard were deployed a lot then during my first term only like once or twice.

3. Will I be living on a ship?

4. What are working shifts like? People say like 18 hour days. 7 days a week.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Best Answer

1) ABF - Depends. Do you like the idea of being a gas attendant? Basically that's what you will be as an ABF and while on ship your part of the ships company. While on shore duty, you'll likely be part of the fuel farm (big gas station). But that's when you're actually doing your job as an ABF.

2) Deploy? That depends also. Long contracts usually place you on shore duty first and since your likely E-3 and below anyway, you'll likely see 2 yrs shore 3 yrs sea. You can only be deployed on sea-duty. And deployments all depend on the rotation of the ship you are attached to and the length as well. I've been on South-Pac that were both 3 and 6 months long and I've been on Med cruises that were both 6 and 9 month deployments. Also there are workups testing the ship to see if it's ready for the longer one (couple of weeks to a month or so) So it depends. Also depends on what's going on in the world. Obviously in a war time situations, you'll like be deployed much more but normal rotations you get the normal one maybe two deployments per enlistment period. Because you usually only sign up for 3-5 years at a time unless your like me and pull the 1 year extension twice in a row. LOL.

3) Again it depends, If you're ships company, there is a likelihood that you get stuck on the ship but chances are you'll get a chance to live in the barracks also. Best thing to do is to just wait the minimum time period (rate usually E-3 minimum and time at command some are 6 months to a year at the command) to request housing allowance (though you can request sooner if the barracks and I believe ship space is at certain capacity. I believe it's like 80% and above)

4) Not sure about ABF but Aviation side of the house at sea, is 12 on and 12 off 7 days a week but don't let that fool ya. We only really work when the air craft aren't working. Most of the time they are out doing flight ops which is why we are 12 on 12 off. They fly we do nothing, they land we fix them up enough to fly the next day. ABF though, those guys don't fix anything on the aircraft. They fuel and wear purple like Barney. On shore, it all depends on your command.

Advice: Make absolutely sure this is a field of work that you would consider yourself interested in doing. Because in the end, it's "your" Naval career. You chose it. If I were you, I'd look more into all the rates but I'll tell you what, I wouldn't switch over to the boat chuck side of the house for anything. Not baggin on the Ship rates, but I know the perks that come with being an Air-dale Aviation (and I can't say all if it on here as there is a limit to how much I can type per comment). ABF is somewhere in the middle to be honest because they are Aviation guys that do ship work. If you want to do Aviation try looking at (AD work on aircraft engines, AM work on aircraft structure, AO aircraft weapons, AE aircraft electricity, AT radars and such). Also understand that you likely won't be doing your job for the first year or so (boot, schools, TAD) and that you'll be doing what is likely considered B*tch work when you first get to actually do your job as part of the growing pains of being the new guy on the block. And that goes for "any" rate you choose.

Peace and good luck to you sir. If you need anymore info, just hit me up. I'm cool with shooting the Shhizzle about my military experiences.

• John

1. Is it really that bad?

> Not a job I would want. Like everything else, it's what you make it.

>It's a sea based position. You'll be stationed on a carrier and you'll do at least 2 cruises over your four year enlistment.

3. Will I be living on a ship?

>Count on it.

>At sea, 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week. In port, 8 hours.shift Mon - Fri, and the occassional watch.

Any advice?

My husband joined the Navy seven years ago. He was in for five years and honorably discharged.

This is what he told me. He was in combat on land and his brother is on ship. So, I have a good idea of both.

1. Is it really that bad: The boot camp? My husband back in the day said it WAS pretty hard. Its non stop go go go. You are running to your stations and then doing the activity and then running again. Over and over for like 48 hours or something. THOUGH, my brother in law who went in after him said you now walk to your stations and they are all in the same building. He said it was easy.

I DO know that they give you a crazy amount of shots. So, be ready to feel like a dairy cow.

2. How often are we deployed? My husband was deployed every other year I think. Like 5 months deployed 12 months home, 6 months deployed 12 months home. His last deployment was 10 months and 12 months home. When he was deployed they most likely move you during your time on deployment. So, on his 10 month deployment he went to Cuba and other places around the world.

3. Will I be living on a ship? Yes and No. Depends what you signed up for. My husband never was. My brother in law is though.

4. What are working shifts like? Shifts... Uhm... I think you work all day but, you have time to sleep. If you have watch though you may stay up all night etc. I do know when you are not on deployments you still work out of the base and work 9am-5pm sort of shirts. It really depends.

I think you will be fine. Start running and exercising now. My husband did tell me that they do group laundry. He said a lot of the boys had **** stains. So, try and watch out for that lol.

BECAUSE, your name is written on everything. lol

Source(s): My husband was an E-4 in the Navy. He liked the Military and is re enlisting into the Coast Guard as we speak. Can't wait.

In case you have a Netflix subscription, you will have to watch "service". ABF is a very difficult and harmful job. Moving planes, avoiding propellers, loading and unloading armaments, fueling and dealing and retaining the launch and recovery methods. As for firefighting, you should be very certified in any score. You might be taught firefighting advantage throughout boot camp so you are going to recognize learn how to fight a fire like a professional while you get out.

1

Welcome to the Real World. What are you crying about? Breaking a sweat? Getting your hands dirty?

So you gas up airplanes. I can think of a lot worse gigs.

• TomB

What? You didn't believe me that last time you asked?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqGIo...

Source(s): USN(ret) AE