Abf navy. Please help?

Couple of questions. I leave to boot camp in three weeks. I'm starting to get cold feet. I looked into abf and it seems to be a horrible job where people are just miserable. I don't want to do it if that's the case. Just got a couple of questions.

1. Is it really that bad?

2. How often are we deployed? I heard were deployed a lot then during my first term only like once or twice.

3. Will I be living on a ship?

4. What are working shifts like? People say like 18 hour days. 7 days a week.

Any advice?

Thank you.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • TomB
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1. yes

2. You have a 60/36 month sea/shore rotation - every time that ship pulls out, so do you for 5 yrs. and plan on Sea Duty because most fueling on shore bases is contracted. Shore Billets are limited.

3. Most likely, depends on your Command and if Billeting is available at whatever your Homeport is.

4. Under way plan on half days (12 on and maybe 12 off on a good day and YES 18 hour days are not unheard of...I have done it too many times to count and YES when underway it is 7 days/week --what else are you gonna do?), but the good news is you won't have a lot of free time to get bored and by the time you get off you will be too tired to do much anyway. (not that there is a whole lot to do at sea)

5. When in port, no Flight Ops so your hours will be adjusted accordingly (most likely 4 section duty to do the preventative maintenance on your fueling equipment)

Advice? Get used to the smell of JP fuel (kind of a cross between diesel and kerosene )

Source(s): USN(ret) AE '82-'03 - and a realistic perspective from an Enlisted Air-Dale.....
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

A couple of points to ponder:

- you "leave FOR boot" not 'to boot"

- ABF is no worse or no better than any other physically demanding job in the Navy. As a junior ABF, you will be doing a lot of grunting and groaning - like any other job, it gets better and easier as you gain seniority.

- individuals don;t deploy; ships do; your deployment schedule will be based on the ship you are on; but maybe you will luck out and get shore duty from the get-go

- you may or may not be on sea duty - it is the luck of the draw

- no one works 18 hours a day, seven days a week - if nothing else safety rules will prevent a fuel guy form working anything close to that; when you are deployed, you work a lot, when you are back at home station, or on shore duty, work hours are like any other

The bottom line is that these are really the sorts of questions you should be asking your recruiter.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

1.ABF, (grapes) isn't a bad rating. It is much better than ABH.

2.You deploy, when the ship deploys. You will likely make 1-2 cruises, plus work ups. You will have a sea/shore rotation over your 20yrs.

3.You will live on the boat if you aren't married. If you are you will only be on the boat on your duty days. You can get a place off the boat with your own money if you are single. Many guys will share a small apartment for when they don't have duty.

4.At sea you have night check/day check. 7/12 at sea there isn't any place to go so you work everyday. What else would you do? You rating is good because in port you don't have much to do that the duty section can't handle. A guy working in supply may have it easy while at sea, but in port they are loading, and unloading the cargo.

If you don't want to be on a boat, why did you join the navy? It really isn't bad. You will work 10-20 days in a row, then pull in and have 3,4,5 days to see at new country.

To add to what was said above. You may hit the shower after working 12hrs, and a GQ happens, well so much for sleep, but it really isn't bad. You can FORGET getting shore duty on this 1st enlistment.

• 4 years ago

You probably have a Netflix subscription, you must watch "provider". ABF is a very difficult and detrimental job. Moving planes, heading off propellers, loading and unloading armaments, fueling and working and retaining the launch and restoration systems. As for firefighting, you should be very qualified in any rating. You are taught firefighting expertise throughout boot camp so you will be aware of learn how to combat a hearth like a pro while you get out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

It's a challenging rate.I was ABF on a carrier,and yeah,at sea the hours are long,especially if your'e a roofrat working flight ops,lookin at 18 hr days at sea.

• gunner
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

The duties performed by ABFs include: operating, maintaining and performing organizational maintenance on aviation fueling and lubricating oil systems on CVs, CVNs, LPHS and LPDS; observing and enforcing handling safety precautions and maintaining fuel quality surveillance and control in aviation fuel systems; supervising the operation and servicing of fuel farms and equipment associated with the fueling and defueling of aircraft ashore and afloat; training, directing and supervising fire fighting crews, fire rescue teams, and damage control parties in assigned fuel and lubricating oil spaces.

Most of the work in this rating is performed outdoors on the deck of aircraft carriers, in all climatic conditions, in fast-paced and often potentially hazardous environments. ABs work closely with others in aviation ratings.

ASVAB: PAY97 VE+AR+MK+AS =184

PAY80 VE+AR+MK+AS =185

20/100 Uncorrected

Must have normal color perception

Must have normal hearing

Notes: Normal hearing required. Frequencies: 3000hz 4000hz 5000hz 6000hz Average hearing threshold level in these four frequencies must be less than 30db, with no level greater than 45db in any one frequency. If hearing level exceeds these limits, the applicant is enlistment ineligible for the rating. No exceptions

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.