Can Steam games be put on a flash drive?

I want to move my Steam games from my computer hard drive to a portable flash drive to free up room on the computers hard drive. Can this be done? I know the Steam client needs to be installed on the hard drive but I just want to move the games.

• Justin
    Favorite Answer

Open Steam and from the drop down menu click on steam.

Go to "backup and restore games".

Select "Backup currently installed programs".

Tick the games you want to backup (I suggest doing it one at a time though). At the bottom it will tell you how much space you need. Press next.

Set the backup destination and press next.

Name the backup. Where it says "file size" I recommend going to custom. Tell it to create a file as big as the game is. This way you only have one folder to worry about.

Click next and the backup will start.

On your new PC:

Go to "backup and restore games".

Select restore a previous backup.

Navigate to one of the folders that you backed up and press next. Steam will now install it to your new computer.

• faella

Backing Up Steam Games

Yes. Copy the games folder into the steam/steamapps/common folder on your USB and then start steam on your flash drive and press install on the game which you copied and it should say discovering existing files and then you're done

Unless you just copy the entire steam folder but I've never done that myself, I've only transferred steam from one pc to another

I cnt find my flash drive its only showing files not media