How to get rid of my accent?

I'm already very proficient and speak the English language fluently. But I have an accent that drives me crazy and I'm willing to practice to get rid of it completely. I always been told since I was little there's nothing wrong with having an accent, but I just can't stand it now that I am older. Is not that I'm trying to get rid of my heritage, I love it. I just feel people treat you second class because you have an accent and don't speak it the "right way", including by people of my same ethnicity. So what can I do to get rid of it completely, how should I practice? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I'm going to tell you the best way to get rid of your accent. Surround yourself with American accented people. I've seen my parents, my friends' parents, doctors, kids with different accents have completely lost or nearly lost all of their orgiinal accent. It's about hearing it everyday. No book, program, class will help you lose an accent its about hearing others, accustoming your ears to hearing and repeating the correct pronounciation of words. Pay attention to the english constanations. "Sh" as in "ship", "ch" as in "change", "st" as in "start", "mp" as in "camp", and the mistake i hear more often.. "ur" as in "burrrrn", "turrrnn", "churrrrch", If you're not really a social person just watch american shows, a sitcom, anything where people converse, and then thy repeating what they say.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How to get rid of my accent?

I'm already very proficient and speak the English language fluently. But I have an accent that drives me crazy and I'm willing to practice to get rid of it completely. I always been told since I was little there's nothing wrong with having an accent, but I just can't stand it now...

Source(s): rid accent: https://shortly.im/vjkhM

My dad's from El Salvador a country in central america he's been living in the U.S. for 27 years and he still has a pretty deep accent. All you can really do is hang around people with not a trace of accent and over time it will go away.

You can always get rid of accents, so did I. Try one word a day (or two). Just pay attention how others do it. It may take time but evetually things will fall in place. Good luck

Source(s): Personal Exp.

People who say you can't get rid of your accent are full of a word that starts with an ''s''.

The first step is to find out what exactly it is that you say differently, and in what way it's different. Then, you just practice.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axYFK

Watch everybody Loves Rawmond for 7 days straight with match-sticks in your eyes, whilst being drip fed you're meals through a tube into your mouth.. After this you will have an NY accent to rival the gods THE GODS I TELL YOU

• Mark

You can't, but the more you speak a language or are around people who speak with the same accent (everyone has an accent), the less pronounced yours will be.

It's hard to hang around people without accents when my husband has a bad one. I'm constantly exposed to it. Any ideas there. We're talking Texan! I hate it.

You cant just get rid of it, believe me, I'm from England and Ive tried. Over time it fades out gradually though

i think accents sound really cool, but if you dont like it, then you just have to be around people without accents and then youre accent will slowly fade away

Source(s): used to live in texas and has an accent, but i moved somewhere else and no longer have an accent