Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

English speech help!?

I know this may sound silly, but I was wondering if I add a quote from someone (Emily Mortimer) in to my speech (I think it relates quite well) will that dampen my speech mark because its not from one of my related texts?

I was going to use it to introduce one of my related texts

Favorite Answer

Hello, Jodie!

As long as you were not given explicit instruction not to use quote from specific authors, then it whould be all right. If you choose to do that, make sure that you provide a reason why you chose (in this case, Emily Mortimer's) quote to amplify your speech; in other words, why you felt that it was appropriate to use the quote of an author who is not included among your related texts.

A well-chosen quote can become the high mark of a speech; enunciate your speech with confidence so that it will leave a lasting impression.