Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 8 years ago

Help on Astronomy Homework!?

I want to make sure I understand the topic. Please let me know if the answer that I have chosen are wrong and explain why. Thank you.

1. How is an absorption spectrum related to a continuous spectrum?

a. An absorption spectrum is like the reverse of a continuous spectrum.

b. An absorption spectrum is the same as a continuous spectrum.

c. An absorption spectrum is like a continuous spectrum that has had specific wavelengths removed.

d. An absorption spectrum only has light present at wavelengths where it is missing from a continuous spectrum.

Choice C?

2. The surface temperature of the star Antares is cooler than the surface temperature of the star Sirius. If a distant observer measured the light from both stars, then

a the wavelength of peak emission from Antares will be longer than that from Sirius.

b the wavelength of peak emission from Sirius will be longer than that from Antares.

c The emission of light from the two stars will peak at the same wavelength, but that from Antares will look dimmer than that from Sirius.

d it is not possible to predict what their spectra will be like.

Choice A?

3. If a star emits its brightest wavelength of light in the infrared range, what color does it appear to the eye?

a Invisible, since we can't see infrared light

b White

c Red

d Gray

Choice C?

4. Why does a hot star emit more short wavelength light than long wavelength light?

a A hot star oscillates faster than a cool star.

b Short wavelength light has less energy than long wavelength light.

c A hot star has a much smaller surface, so longer wavelength light cannot be generated by it.

d Short wavelength light has more energy than long wavelength light.

Choice D?

5. A meteor is heated from 400 K to 4000 K as it falls through the atmosphere of the Earth an appears as a shooting star. If this object is emitting light with a continuous spectrum, how does its spectrum change as it is heated?

a The brightest wavelength of light that it emits stays the same, but it becomes much brighter.

b The brightest wavelength of light that it emits becomes longer by 10 times.

c The light it emits changes from having a continuous spectrum to having an emission spectrum.

d The brightest wavelength of light that it emits becomes shorter by 10 times.

Choice D?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

This is physics, but your questions on astronomy are all physics-related.

Your answer choices all look correct to me, so you seem to understand

this part of the topic quite well. Good luck!

Source(s): physics and astronomy
  • Mark P
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

This is PHYSICS forum. Post in ASTRONOMY. Maybe they can answer that many questions from one student

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.