What color of BN Pleco should I get?

After I do a fishless cycle on my new 30 gallon planted tank. I plan on getting a Bristlenose Pleco (these aren't the big ones, these only get about 4 or 5 inches long), but I'm not sure if I should get the normally colored one (brown) or the albino one (yellow, orange). My substrate will be black so I was thinking of the albino one because it would be easier to see, but I'm not sure which would be best. Any ideas?

• Dan M
    Favorite Answer

There are the regular brown, a whitish albino, a very deep yellow albino, a yellow one with dark eyes (non-albino), a calico, a red calico, a starry night (covered with small white dots), a white seam (brown with oblong light dots and a white border on the fins). That is more than two choices, and just about all of those colors come in both short and long fin versions.

My wife's favorite is the longfin white seam. (Some call it gold seam) These look good whether they are in our tanks with black gravel, bare bottom, or white sand.

The red calico seems the most in demand just now. I keep hearing about a green one and saw some at a tropical fish auction in Akron Ohio this spring. They were interesting but I think it may be more the newness and rarity that has the prices high. Time will tell.

Dwarf plecos do best as a pair. Get one male and one female. You can mix or match the colors. Either have both the same finnage, or a longfin male and shortfin female. A bit of driftwood and some small caves just big enough for them to squeeze in is their favorite.

I have bred these starting several years ago, and am still breeding them. I also have some L-333's that are big enough to begin spawning soon. They are dwarf plecos, but a different species from the well domesticated Bristle Nose. They are covered with diagonal cream and brown stripes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SFqSR_-Rdg

Youtube thumbnail

They are my favorite, even though they are a separate species so you can't mix them with the other kinds. I put only one male and one or more females in each tank to avoid the displays you see in the video.

Source(s): I have bred bristlenose plecos, Corydoras, Aspidoras, loaches, Farlowella, and many cichlids, killies, danios, livebearers, and goldfish.

Since bristlenose Plecos need driftwood i would get the albino because it would look great against dark subtrate and dark driftwood