Why do U.S. Navy ships still use the Phalanx CIWS while other navies use different types o' CIWSes?

What I mean is: Phalanx is the only one I've seen with dedicated radar (R2-D2 dome). Other navies like the Russians' navy have CIWS guns mounted inside the ships looks like, and simply use the ship's radar returns to target them. U.S. Phalanx, is completely self-contained unit. Why do things like... show more What I mean is: Phalanx is the only one I've seen with dedicated radar (R2-D2 dome). Other navies like the Russians' navy have CIWS guns mounted inside the ships looks like, and simply use the ship's radar returns to target them. U.S. Phalanx, is completely self-contained unit. Why do things like this? What advantages / disadvantages?
Update: Thanks for that! I especially admire those serving and who have served our country! Kinda suspected what u told me, but good to get a thorough explanation. Yeah says on wiki that it (Phalanx) uses millimeter wave radar probably better than using shipbourne radar. probably faster acquisition rate as well, more... show more Thanks for that! I especially admire those serving and who have served our country! Kinda suspected what u told me, but good to get a thorough explanation.

Yeah says on wiki that it (Phalanx) uses millimeter wave radar probably better than using shipbourne radar. probably faster acquisition rate as well, more accurate than others most likely. Also, I'm guessing harder to jam (ie if decoys used against ship's radar, less likely to fool the Phalanx).

Always amazed by U.S. technical capabilities!
4 answers 4