? asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 7 years ago

How should you counter the philosophy of YOLO?

I mean if you think about it, its actually true, you actually do only live once. How should you be motivated to throw away and restrict yourself in this one life that you get just for the sake of the hereafter? Please help, I really want to be motivated every day of my life to do so but sometimes I falter.

PS: Islam-haters stay the hell out.

Update:

@Hot Mess: Alhamdulillah That was AWESOME

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Sen...
    Lv 6
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

YOLO is a philosophy? Hahah. Maybe for the Tumblr/FB teens who don't have anything better to do than to come up with pseudo-intellectual BS. If you really really think about it, sooner or later you'll realize how stupid it is.

The best way to counter that and all other pop-culture crap is to embrace Islam wholeheartedly and accept all of its doctrines, in this case the one about the life after death. You only live twice. First time, in this life, to take a test and second time, in the afterlife, to get your reward/punishment. That should be your motivation. Because if you live by YOLO you'll do a lot of forbidden stuff and once you come before Him there's no more time for regrets, no excuses, only you and your deeds.

• ???
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Islamically speaking, we die a minor death every night and Allah resurrects us, this is a major sign from Allah if you think about it.

"How should you be motivated to throw away and restrict yourself in this one life that you get just for the sake of the hereafter?"

Who gave you this life? The same Creator who gave you this life will give you another one. If you think about it, if you throw away this life, you will also be throwing away the next. You don't throw away this life by following the commandments of Allah but you throw it away by following your desires.

• ?
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Surely if you 'only live once' one would value life much more, yet these people decide to go crazy and 'mash' up their lives. Whatever to them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.