Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 7 years ago

Im getting braces! i need answers!?

Im getting braces

& i wanna know if they hurt?

if they let you eat certain foods? if not what cant i eat

if they cut up your mouth?

if it makes you talk weird?

Favorite Answer

Whilst they are getting fixed on they don't hurt, but after your mouth may hurt as they get used to the brace in your mouth.

You can't eat certain foods that are sticky e.g gum & toffee. The dentist should let you know about the other foods.

They don't cut up your mouth, but make sure you don't always run your tongue against them because it may get cut!

If you do get cut, speak to your dentist they should be able to fix it.

& finally no, my boyfriend recently got braces & he speaks exactly the same as before.

Oh and that reminds me, kissing people with braces, is the same as kissing people without braces, you just have to be a little more careful when you French Kiss.

Hope this helps :)

Source(s): Mee
  • Journey for me that started 3 years ago and ended around 3 or 4 months ago - thankfully!! To answer your questions truthfully, braces do hurt for the first 3 to 7 days, depending on the severity of your problems. Remember, your teeth are not used to the amount of pressure braces are so they will be tender and sore. However, after your teeth have become accustomed to the feeling, it will just feel normal. You will need to eat softer foods for that period of time and try not to take any medications. Let the pain cure naturally. No they don't cut up your mouth. It can make some people have a lisp, but rarely. I mean I have a retainer now and I don't even have a lisp for that. It really does depend on you.

For me, it didn't hurt to bad. My teeth were sore & really sensitive though. All i needed was some Advil/Ibuoprofen/Aleve/etc.

You can't have anything that can get stuck in your braces, like gum, gummy candies, taffy, etc. You cant chew ice either. At first 'you can only eat soft foods'. But actually, i cut up pizza, cheeseburgers, etc. & i swallowed it. No chewing, just swallowing small pieces. It took some getting used to, but i prefered that rather than being stuck eating soft foods. If they cut up your mouth (mine didn't), you can out some wax on you mouth & braces. Your ortho should provide it. & if it makes you talk weird? Well i had a really bad lisp at first. You couldn't even understand what i was saying! Lol, but you'll get used to talking with the braces. I have no lisp anymore, just a little (you can't really notice.) And i've only had my braces for a week and a half! So don't worry! It's not too bad! People make it seem worse than it is, but it's not so bad. Good luck. (:

Source(s): Got braces a week or two ago.

I had braces for 3 years and no they don't hurt, they are just sore for a couple days. It's not a real pain, it's a dull ache and it's not bad at all. I got my braces on and was eating cereal the same day.

They have a list of what you shouldn't eat, and they will tell you, but I pretty much ate whatever I wanted and chewed gum and nothing ever happened lol.

Mine didn't cut up my mouth at all or make me talk weird.

Sure, braces do harm alot to start with. You could want to don't forget taking a ache killer before you go to your ortho visits.You more commonly is not going to need the agony killer for subsequent week considering the fact that most times while you first go all they do is cement the brackets on. Avoid tough and/or crunchy foods... Soup, applesauce and mashed potatoes are your pals. The best way they get your braces on is with dental cement that sticks to your tooth and can hold the brackets on. The cement won't hurt or injury your enamel be fear free. However, brackets normally like to interrupt free whilst you chunk into hard and/or crunchy meals (consequently the warning i gave prior!!) but it's most important that if a bracket comes of that you just preserve it except your subsequent seek advice from so they are able to put it back on or else there perhaps a high-priced price. And you're going to be taught in time that food likes to get stuck in braces... However magnificence is discomfort and i needed to go by way of four lengthy years in them for definitely stunning tooth! You will respect the reward! Hope I Helped! SMILEY!!

Well, yea they are gonna hurt. It's not that they tell you what foods you should eat but what foods you can eat. You are not gona be able to eat anything hard like nachos or a whole apple because it will hurt. I usually always ate some soup or some apple sauce. They tell you that you can't drink soda or chew gum but I've always done it and there's no problem. At first you may cut your mouth but its not so bad. You will talk weird at first but it's your mouth will get used to it. Sooner or later you will talk normal again.

Source(s): I've had braces for 2 years

At first your braces will probably hurt but in a sense that your mouth is not used to them. You'll get used to your braces soon enough and when you get them, your dentist will have a list that will be provided to you that tells you food to avoid. (Gum, popcorn, caramel, etc..)

Source(s): Experience

I have never had braces, but I heard that in HS they are "in" now. Some kids have even purchased after market, fake braces just to look like they have them.

Good luck!