What is the significance of these terms during the Cold War, WWII, and hipster era?

I have a test im studying for in History class in college. The review asks me to define the following terms during the Cold War, wwii, and hipster (beatniks) eras and explain its context and significance.

George Kennan

The Atlantic Charter

Great East Asia

Military Keynesianism

"Howl"

IMF

China Lobby

McCarthyism

NATO

Mohammad Mossadegh

Margaret Chase Smith

Elizabeth Gurley-Flynn

Please explain as many as you can, even just a few would be most helpful!!

Thanks!!

Thank you, Robert, for your greatly insulting response. I am actually just asking for small summaries when in reality I have to write paragraphs for each one. I am only asking this to speed up the process of finding them w searches to know better what I am looking for. For example one of the unstated terms was gray flannel suits, and google was filled w books like them man in the gray flannel suit and I only figured out what I was actually lookin for when someone described it as "the establishment".

Thank you other guy, that was just what I needed. It's already helping a lot in my search.

Best Answer

All of these terms are pack-filled with information, but I'll summarize each rapidly:

George Kennan- A diplomat of the United States who was named "Father of containment" during the Cold War, which means containing the Soviet Union and preventing it from expanding its influence further.

The Atlantic Charter- A policy statement drafted by the United States and Britain during World War II and later agreed to by all of the Allies basically stating that liberated countries and cities would not be made permanent territories of the Allies, protection of the people, giving them freedoms, and giving them access to raw materials.

Great East Asia- Basically a concept made by the aggressive Empire of Japan before and during World War II. It promoted the cultural and economic unity of the East Asian race. It also declared the intention to create a self-sufficient "bloc of Asian nations led by the Japanese and free of Western powers."

Military Keynesianism- The idea that the government (American government) should increase military spending, and by doing so, it also increases economic growth whilst better defending the country.

"Howl"- In the '50s, Allen Ginsberg wrote a poem called "Howl." Its opening lines, “I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by/ madness, starving hysterical naked,/ dragging themselves through the ***** streets at dawn/ looking for an angry fix,” are well-known and oft-quoted. The words speak evocatively and powerfully to the terrible political and social dilemmas of postwar America, those facing the younger generation in particular.

IMF- [International Monetary Fund] It is an organization of 188 countries, working to foster global monetary cooperation, secure financial stability, facilitate international trade, promote high employment and sustainable economic growth, and reduce poverty around the world. It was established in the United States in 1944.

China Lobby- Used by American politicians, this describes special interest groups acting on behalf of the governments of either the People's Republic of China or the Republic of China to influence Sino-American relations. During most of the twentieth century, the term "China lobby" was used most often to refer to special interest groups acting on behalf of the Republic of China (ROC).

McCarthyism- A fear of communism spreading into the United States in the '50s begun by U.S. Senator Joseph McCarthy where thousands of Americans were accused of being Communists or communist sympathizers.

NATO- [North Atlantic Treaty Organization] Basically a military and economic alliance between countries in the Northern Hemisphere, it was the enemy of the Warsaw Pact (Soviet Union) during the Cold War. NATO consisted of the U.S, Canada, Western Europe, and a few other small nations. It now has spread into Eastern Europe.

Mohammad Mossadegh- He was the prime minister of Iran who was overthrown in a coup, which was supported by the CIA and MI6. It was basically a coup for oil, since Mohammad nationalized the Iranian oil industry when before it was in the hands of the British.

Margaret Chase Smith- She was the first woman to serve in both houses of the United States Congress, and the first woman to represent Maine in either. A moderate Republican, she is perhaps best remembered for her 1950 speech, "Declaration of Conscience," in which she criticized the tactics of McCarthyism(Remember? The persecution of Americans thought to be communists?)

Elizabeth Gurley-Flynn- Part of the American communist party(Most significant). She was a labor leader, activist, and feminist who played a leading role in the Industrial Workers of the World. Flynn was a founding member of the American Civil Liberties Union and a visible proponent of women's rights, birth control, and women's suffrage.

Good luck with your exam, don't worry, it'll be easy!

The concept of education is that the pupil is able to answer questions and if not: is able to research for the answers by e.g. using a concept called the Internet. The ability to use Y/A has been proven , yo should move on to: google, yahoo search, bing and wikipedia.

Are you seriously ask us as a college student to do your work ?????