Julia asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 years ago

What is african history like?

I was just thinking of what we learn in our history classes in America and how all other countries must learn different things in their history class.

I listened to "i can" by Nas and these lyrics stood out to me

"[Nas]

Be, be, 'fore we came to this country

We were kings and queens, never porch monkeys

There was empires in Africa called Kush

Timbuktu, where every race came to get books

To learn from black teachers who taught Greeks and Romans

Asian Arabs and gave them gold when

Gold was converted to money it all changed

Money then became empowerment for Europeans

The Persian military invaded

They heard about the gold, the teachings, and everything sacred

Africa was almost robbed naked

Slavery was money, so they began making slave ships

Egypt was the place that Alexander the Great went

He was so shocked at the mountains with black faces"

can you elaborate on that?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Hugh
    Lv 6
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Much of African history has been neglected or attributed to other peoples. Also most separate Egypt & North Africa from Sub Saharan Africa in regards to history. That is like separating North and South European history. Regardless of the color its all African history. The Nas reference to mountains with Black faces are to the colossi of Memnon which was the Greeks name for the colossi of Ramses. In Greek mythology Memnon was the king of Ethiopia and the son of the goddess Eos. In the story of the Trojan war Memnon sent 40k troops to aid the Trojans and died fighting Achilles in battle. The gods had so much love for Memnon they brought him back to life and made him immortal. There is a mythic epic poem called the Ethiopus that has only fragments left today. Even today much of African history must be dug up in obscure text or recognized with in Euro centric history text. Much of west African history is in an oral tradition and or written in Arabic but little studied out side of west Africa Islamic schools. Many of the accomplishments of Black Africans are still denied by historians today but archeology and genetic research are shining light on facts that disprove Euro centric and some radical Afro centric views.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Any good library will have one or more professionally written books giving an introduction to African history and books on specific countries or areas or eras. Look there.

Most good-sized American universities nowadays have at least one professor specializing in some aspect of African history. Although the field isn't as popular or large as, say, American or European history among U.S. academics, it's definitely not being ignored.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.