dual citizenship? indonesian?

Hi, I have both American passport and Indonesian passport. I heard rumors that Indonesia does not allow dual citizenship, (not after youre 18) however I'm 20, and I have been traveling back and forth from the US and has not experienced any problem with it. May I know the Indonesian law for dual citizenship?

• Phil
    Favorite Answer

Losing Indonesian citizenship

a person over the age of 18 obtains another citizenship by his/her own will

a person does not reject or release another citizenship even he/she has the opportunity to do so

A person renounces Indonesian citizenship to the President of Indonesia on his/her own will with the provision that he/she is already 18 years old or married, is staying in a foreign country, and is not stateless if he/she loses Indonesian citizenship

a person joins a foreign military without the President's permission

a person voluntarily taking another country's oath of allegiance

a person has a valid passport or other passport-like documents from a foreign country as proof of citizenship

staying outside Indonesian territory for 5 consecutive years, not stating the will to stay as Indonesian citizen before the 5 year period is over, and not reporting every 5 years to a representative of the Indonesian government

Now all that said as I read it the issues that affect you are "rejecting or releasing" IF you have the oportunity to do so. I don't know exactly what that means, but you don't normally have an opportunity or choice to reject US citizenship if you have it. The US regards you as a US Citizen unless you voluntarily relinquish your citizenship, before a US Consul and with the INTENTION to relinquish. If you relinquish to retain Indonesian nationality, it will not affect your US citizenship unless it is your intent no to be a US citizen (as opposed to your intent being to retain Indonesian nationality). See, the US interprets its law and Indonesia does the same with its law and the two can have irreconcilable effects...but I would suggest you NOT make a relinquishment unless you really want to lose your citizenship, because once you make the declaration it will be your burden to prove you didn't really want to lose citizenship.

The other one is that if you have a passport from a foreign country, and you do have a US passport. what more, you have to have a US passport to come to the US if you are a citizen and that under Indonesian law means you are not Indonesian.

If you keep your US paperwork carefully stored away and don't say anything the odds are that Indonesian will not know about it...but if they find out you would be eligible for deportation and your Indonesian passport would be confiscated.

So technically you have lost your Indonesian nationality or at least will if you are found to be a US citizen. However, such laws do change over time, and the trend is to allow multiple nationalities these days. Many countries have changed their laws and most of them have granted nationality to those who lost it for various reasons.

Indonesia Dual Citizenship

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

dual citizenship? indonesian?

Hi, I have both American passport and Indonesian passport. I heard rumors that Indonesia does not allow dual citizenship, (not after youre 18) however I'm 20, and I have been traveling back and forth from the US and has not experienced any problem with it. May I know the Indonesian law for...

Source(s): dual citizenship indonesian: https://tinyurl.im/TcVZy

The Indonesian nationality law does not recognize dual citizenship except for persons under the age of 18. After reaching 18 years of age individuals are forced to choose one citizenship

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ayfRB

Um, do you have a picture of this supposed Indonesian citizenship paper or passport? I thought not.