Moving to boston area-help me pick a place to live!?

our top 2 choices are newton & acton. I want to pick a 3rd area to see with the realtor. We found some cheaper homes we like in ***Bellerica, Maynard, Wilmington, & Waltham ***(other areas were too far, too expensive, or had no houses we liked). Can anyone help me with the differences between these areas & which might be better. We are concerned about the schools and also what kind of shopping is available, like a nice fancy mall area vs an old k-mart. Thanks!

• Mike R
    Favorite Answer

Personally, I love Newton, and would consider Waltham as well. Another town I'd consider is Watertown, which is probably a bit more affordable and is very middle-class but has a good school system. Natick is another suburb with an excellent school system and a lot of shopping, but also might be more expensive. Needham is another suburb to consider as well. Newton probably has the best school system of any of these areas you mentioned.

Where to live should depend on exactly where you would be commuting for work, of course. If you're going to be commuting regularly to downtown Boston (or even heading into Boston occasionally for the day for restaurants, shopping, museums, etc). then public transit is the way to go.

Newton has the Green Line of the subway system that goes straight into Boston, but also has incredibly easy access to I-95, I-90 (the MassPike), and Route 9 which has an incredible amount of retail in the Newton area and areas to the west of there. There are a couple of more upscale shopping malls in the Newton area, and a bigger mall in Natick (fairly recently renovated and expanded, and renamed the Natick Collection). There's anything from a Macy's department store, to a higher-end department store (can't remember if it's a Nortstrom, Lord and Taylor or Bloomingdales), as well as several other big-box stores in that area too - Target, Home Depot, etc etc.

• Chris

Billerica is quite a hike from Boston if you plan on being close to the city and I don't think there's much there in terms of stores, malls, etc..

Wilmington is near Woburn and Burlington which is nice cuz there is a nice mall in Burlington and lots of stores in Woburn. Wilmington is a nice place to raise a family.

Waltham has easy access to downtown Boston via public transportation (busses) but that's about all I know about Waltham. Its pretty nice I guess.

Don't really know anything about Maynard.

Newton is really nice and also very convenient to Boston however Acton is not so convenient. Newton is or was among the top most desirable places to live.

Other places you might want to consider are towns on the North Shore like Danvers, Beverly, Peabody and Salem.

Hope I helped :-)

Source(s): originally from the north shore, now living in Boston area.
  • Libby

If you are looking at things like schools in particular of the other 4 you mentioned - Maynard would be the best -- personally I wouldn't choose any of the other 3 if I had kids going to school. I'd probably put Billerica on the bottom and with Wilmington and Waltham about tied. Waltham would be closest to the Boston area with the best in regards to restaurants and shopping.

Where will you be working?

Newton is T accessible, and VERY expensive. Great schools, very expensive, small houses. High end shopping at the Chestnut Hill Mall.

Waltham is also high-end and expensive. Lots of restaurants and cute stores.

Billerica has a mall, but is kind of far from Boston when you take traffic into account. Not T accessible. Most "low end" of your options.

Maynard is WAY out there. Long commute to Boston, no public transit. Very country. Good schools though. Not much shopping.

If Newton and Waltham are in your budget, I'd consider Lincoln, Brookline, and Wellesley. Brookline and Wellesley have great schools. Brookline has lots of stores and is T accessible, but few yards. Wellesley and Lincoln are beautiful...lots of trees.

• Jerry

Your choices cover a wide geographical range, from close suburbs of Boston to 45-60 minute commute. If you EDIT your question to add info like job location, you would get better answers.

Newton has by far the best school system of those cities. It will also cost 50% to 100% more than any of the others. Waltham is a similar distance from Boston. The others are much further, and pretty spread out.

Consider Arlington for your list. Nice close small suburb with very good schools.

You could review MCAS (standardized testing) results by city. Department of Education link below, but there may be an easier summary elsewhere. This is far from perfect, but gives you some clue about school quality.

Acton and Newton are pretty far apart...? You should live closer to where you work. The schools in either Acton or Newton will be good. I have many friends with families who live in both. From what I know I'd pick Acton, but not if you have to drive a long way to go to work.

Let me put it this way, someone who could afford to live in Newton or Acton wouldn't live in Billerica (pronounced Bill-a-ricka), or to us locals just Ricka. Ricka just has an old Kmart for shopping....nix that one.

In Burlington, town next to Ricka is one of the better shopping malls north of Boston - Burlington Mall (it's where Paul Blart Mall Cop was filmed).

All these towns are relatively small and folks don't necessarily shop in the town they live in. On the north end of Boston (i.e. Acton, Billerica, Willmington) would likely go to Salem, NH to shop - no sales tax in NH.

Some towns I'd recommend -

Acton, Westford, Littleton, Chelmsford, Methuen, Andover, N. Andover, Bedford, Lexington, Concord, Waltham, Wilmington.

Towns I don't recommend

Billerica, Woburn, Lowell, Lawrence, Haverhill, Tewksbury (on the fence).

Bottom line - be close to where you work.

Boston is a quintessential mixture of colonial history and cutting-edge innovation. From the charming cobblestones of Beacon Hill and progressive landmarks of the Freedom Trail, to the well-known reasons of Harvard University and Fenway Park, Boston is a treasure trove of Americana and with hotelbye you could have the opportunity to know this treasure. Boston is famous it as the "hold of liberty" and Faneuil Hall is one of the areas must-see just like the adjacent Faneuil Hall Marketplace, a location that features three extended halls: Quincy Market, North Market, and South Market. , Faneuil Hall Marketplace is relationship from the first 19th century and is now entertained with a dynamic assortment of stores, restaurants, and exhibitions. In good temperature, you will discover road artists and buskers wearing reveals in the square round the market.

• friedt

I believe the different responses so a techniques - in case you ought to stay interior of Boston city limits then West Roxbury is a competent guess (and that's not something like Roxbury, which you ought to evade - yet they are no longer even without delay next to one yet another). additionally i might check out factors of Brighton, particularly the western fringe of Brighton in direction of Newton/Chestnut Hill section and around o.ok.sq.. there are various place of abode homes on the main significant streets (Washington St. and Commonwealth Ave. with a lot of school pupils - Boston college and Boston college tremendously - yet there are extra single-kinfolk properties or duplex/triple decker properties to boot with yards and such. And it quite is a secure section to boot.