Math Minor with Finance Major or no minor?

I was looking to go into toward corporate finance or investment analysis and was debating whether or not to go with the math minor or not. I switch my major with civil engineering so I already have taken calc 1, 2, 3 and its like 2 extra classes to get it. Do companies even look at minors or is it a waste or time?

*I switch my major from civil engineering

Ive also taken finite math. so that's has probability in it

• Jerry
    Favorite Answer

A math minor has legitimate value and will be viewed favorably. It might encourage a firm to consider you for a quantitative analysis role.

Stats classes would likely add the most value in the investment world.

Source(s): retired portfolio manager - BS (Math, Econ), MS Finance, MBA
  • Paul D

A Finance Major/Math Minor is a stronger combination than just a Finance Major but it's a small edge and after 2-3 years in the work arena it wlll be almost meaningless.

This is just what I think: Minors show your hobby, so yes a waste of time.

A finance major would never need a math minor for anything.

And civil engineering has nothing to do with finance.

Be a math instructor, get early retirement,,,,,,,,, sorry, no jobs in finance like the college pronounced their have been.. the nursing college i visit is crammed with company majors who're having to do college two times.