Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

Do students in USA , France Or UK learn Arabic " العربية " ?

Here in Egypt we learn English, Francais , Deutch and other language as obligatory subjects.

I agree that learning languages is something interesting and make you understand other people who are different from you. But I was wondering If students in USA , France Or UK learn Arabic"العربية" ?

I can only answer for the UK, but no. You can choose to learn Arabic, but it isn't mandatory. Student's in the UK must learn a language but it is usually a European language, French, Italian, German or Spanish being the most popular. Some ethnic minority students study languages they speak, such as Gujurati, Arabic or Hindi, but this is rarely offered by the school and would usually only be offered in schools with a large ethnic minority student population. However the student is free to learn any language they choose in their own time and I had lots of friends that learned Arabic either through family or through the mosque.

I can only speak about the USA. It is required for students to take one foreign language, It depends which school you attend as to which languages they offer. Commonly those are Latin, French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Russian. Some schools offer Arabic, but it is not nearly as common.

In university, yes, but rarely in high school. There is usually 2 years of a foreign language required and they normally only offer Spanish, French, German, Latin, and Mandarin.

• Yes, many students in these countries learn Arabic. It isn't required , but it is an option.

No ): I'm in the us & all we had the option of learning was French & Spanish. Maybe Latin depending on where you were. I wish I knew it. ):