Which GoPro should I get?

So I'm looking into buying a GoPro and I'm not sure which to get. I cannot afford the hero 3 black edition and was thinking of getting the silver edition but it does not shoot at 120fps like the hero 2 does - is it worth buying the silver edition hero 3 or sticking with the hero 2? please help!

• Scott
    Favorite Answer

First, the H3 Silver has the same camera specs as the H2, including the 120 fps in SD (WVGA). In fact, this is clearly stated under on their website under "Specs" without having to look at the users manual. Here is the rest of the operating modes:

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-silver-edition#s...

Again, from the standpoint of camera (both still and video) it is exactly the same as an H2. The H3 series has a better case lens for underwater use. The H2 has a little vignetting underwater with its round lens, and is less sharp under water. The H3 also adds wifi connectivity so it can be used with a smart phone or tablet, or with the gopro remote (extra $$ for the silver). And the H3 is slightly smaller in size and weight than the H2.

Most of the issues I've encountered in the H3 series have been user caused and some fault lies with GoPro's "Automatic" update system. There is no status indicator on the update and it jumps to the "update finished" page almost immediately. In reality, the update is about 10 megs. With slower connections, it is best to do the manual update. The proper card is a must (Class 10, name brand from known supplier). The microSD is a quirky animal, and should not be used for storage. Record video and photos, then download and delete, reformat (delete) in the camera being used. Start each day with a clean card.

I have two H3 Blacks and my associates have 4 additional H3Blacks, haven't had a problem with any of them. I also have 2 H2 and use them as much as my H3s.

Hi,

What Scott says is right !

Personnal feedback, I got the 3 silver which is pretty good and way cheaper than the blackE. If you compare with the updated models, I would say go for the 3+silver. It's doing great without being perfect but a few adjustments on any movie software give you gorgeous videos though.

Cheers

if your unable to buy the new black edition gopro i would just go with the gopro 2. i have the 2 and it works great.

The 3 is buggy as hell & wouldn't recommend it to anyone, I sent mine back and got a full refund and got a Drift Ghost HD camera and it is much better than my old Hero2. They have lost a customer through rushing out a camera before the bugs were ironed out.

I have gopro white edition and look at video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK5xZ-5pAvo

Youtube thumbnail