Chances for Duke University?

Ethnicity: Asian girl

Other Info: Dad works at Duke as professor

Weighted GPA Trend: 3.9 --> 4.1 ---> 4.2 or 4.3

Grades: Mostly B grades by junior year...reason is b/c I'm honors/AP student

Extracurricular activities:

Key Club - Club officer for 3 years, 250 hours total

Hospital Volunteering - 2 years, 124 hours total

National Institutes of Health internship - summer intern for 2 summers, did molecular biology research

Piano - Carnegie Hall/international performer, (performed at recital halls in Boston, Canada, Russia), first/second place winner at competitions

Chinese Honor Society & National Honor Society member

Assuming that my SAT score is 2200 and Subject Tests are 750 minimum, what are my chances at Duke University? I want to apply for Early Admission

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

I'd say not very good. Duke accepts 11% of the students who apply (according to the latest alumni magazine). Even in AP classes, Bs are not going to make you competitive. Whether they will give you special consideration because your father teaches there is impossible to say. But the admissions process is holistic, not a numbers game.

When I was at Duke, one year they told us they were looking for well-rounded students- students with a variety of interests and activities. The next year, they told us they had decided to look for "spear-headed" students- students with a particular talent or strong passion in some area. So your piano credentials might make a difference if that's what they think they want this year.

• 5 years ago

Duke is b.s. I was rejected with 34 ACT score and a dozen AP classes with most of them A's.

• 5 years ago

Well? Did you get in?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.