is it safe to give my social security number to my employer? can they access my bank accounts?

Is it safe to give my social security number to an employer for a background check?

Can my employer do anything with my social security number?

Today I got hired for a maid/house cleaning service.I had to provide them with my social security number so they could do a background check.

I know there are situations where a social security number is required, but I just feel uneasy about giving it away. I already gave it to them anyways because they would not hire me without a background check.

Is there anything I should be worried about?

Such as, could they ever take money out of my bank accounts?

or is this pretty harmless?

By the way, it is a cleaning service, Independant contractor thing where they connect customers and cleaners.

Also, is there a way to change my social security number?

Favorite Answer

Employers are required by law to have their employees' SSNs on file since that information is used for tax purposes. You cannot be hired legally without giving your SSN to your employer. You cannot change your SSN unless you have suffered irreparable harm from misuse of your SSN or you enter into a federal identity reassignment program (such as witness protection).

No, they can't access your bank accounts. The only thing they can access is a credit bureau report. Those are pretty invasive: it tells them your previous employers, if you have been on welfare, if you owe any debt. They want to know all of that and if you have a criminal record, because you will be going into people's homes to clean them. They want to know you're not a theif.

Yes, they require it so they can handle your payroll deductions.

They do NOT need it for a background check.

No, they can't access your bank accounts with only your SS number, but it would make it easier.

Re change, contact the SS office.