Is it safe to give my social security number to my employer? can they access my bank accounts?

Is it safe to give my social security number to an employer for a background check? Can my employer do anything with my social security number? Today I got hired for a maid/house cleaning service.I had to provide them with my social security number so they could do a background check. I know there are... show more Is it safe to give my social security number to an employer for a background check?
Can my employer do anything with my social security number?
Today I got hired for a maid/house cleaning service.I had to provide them with my social security number so they could do a background check.

I know there are situations where a social security number is required, but I just feel uneasy about giving it away. I already gave it to them anyways because they would not hire me without a background check.

Is there anything I should be worried about?

Such as, could they ever take money out of my bank accounts?

or is this pretty harmless?

By the way, it is a cleaning service, Independant contractor thing where they connect customers and cleaners.

Also, is there a way to change my social security number?