Angelina asked in SportsRunning · 7 years ago

I'm so sore from the workout!?

So my track tryouts starts in 5 days! And I haven't worked out in 5 months! I'm a 15 year old sprinter 105 pounds and 5'6-5'7! I was super fast last year but I feel like my speed has decreased is that normal? Also I started to run yesterday and I woke up so sore! I'm afraid I will be sore for the practice in 5 days! Do you think I will still be sore? Also can I still workout or should i stop for the practice? And I'm scared I might not do well! Do you think I can still run 100m in 12 seconds? Lastly what can I do to get away the soreness?

Favorite Answer

Well, the reason your sore is due to the fact that you haven't worked out in 5 months. It only takes about 10 days for your body to start getting out of shape, so imagine what 5 months of inactivity will do to your muscles. So yes, it's totally normal that your speed has decreased, because when you're not using your muscles your body will break them down for energy, and once the muscles are gone you have to work to get them back. The reason you're sore right now is because when you push your body hard during a workout, your muscle fibers tear. While traumatic only on a small level, these micro-tears are still painful and cause you to feel sore after a workout. After a workout, your body works to rebuild itself. The micro-tears in your muscle fibers need to be repaired, and your body not only mends these tears but creates additional muscle fibers as an extra layer of protection. As your body creates these new fibers, you gain muscle and build strength. So to answer your question I think you may be a little bit sore by Friday, but I suggest that you go out for a run today and tomorrow as opposed to taking the day off, you'll be less sore after you finish and your muscles will feel better. Just keep in mind that you have to run slow, taking it too hard can cause serious damage to your already damaged muscle fibers. That said, you're the only person who knows your body, so if you think you should take the day off then that's what you should do, honestly, you could either way.

Right now your body is out of shape, that's just the truth, and sadly there's no way to get your body into shape in two days. So to answer your question, no, I don't think you'll be able to run the 100m in 12 seconds simply because you're not in the same shape that you were 5 months ago. But after a couple of months into the track season with some hard work and dedication I think that you can and probably will beat your 12 second time.

There isn't much way to get rid of the soreness, all you really can do is wait for the muscle tears to heal themselves, which depending on the amount could take about 2-3 days. There are a couple things you can do to dull the pain though, one of the most important things you can do is ice. Ice, ice, ice. Cryotherapy, or cold therapy, when used in the properly can diminish pain, metabolism, and muscle spasms, thus lowering the inflammatory response and improving recovery. If you're still feeling injured I suggest icing your leg at least twice a day for about 20 minutes. Fill a ziploc bag with ice, place a dry towel on your leg and just let it sit there for awhile, it'll speed up your recovery and you'll be able to get back to pain-free running sooner. Also try stretching out the places where you feel pain, you may have to get creative but try to really get to the spot where you're having issues.

Another way to dull the pain is by taking acetaminophen (Tylenol) or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), or aspirin to help relieve the discomfort. Just be cautious about using NSAIDs regularly.

I hope that helps, feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Take a nice hot shower.......The soreness shows that the workouts your doing really works!!!