My Toddler has decayed front teeth & absess --please help?

!?

It was his first time at the dentist this week , he is only 4 years old and was very cooperative they did a cleaning and X-rays without any problem. He would fall asleep wit a dippy cup with milk all the time & that "s what led to the decay in the two front teeth. They are yellow and slightly brown & also chipped. He just complained the other day of toothache and when I checked I noticed a big absess on top of one tooth. The dentist wants to pull both of the tooth out . But I don't know if its really necessary? He didn't offer any pencilin to get rid of infection . He also said he wanted to give local anesthetic and laughing gas---what is he crazy!!! My child was calm the whole time. I told him no on laughing gas and h just kept repeating himself on how it makes the child have a pleasant experience.

Dentist also said he has 12 cavities and needs 2 crowns-- my son doesn't drink juices nor does he eat a lot of candy.. I don't know but it doesn't seem right. He didn't even show me the X-rays .and suggested to do as much work as possible in one sitting!

I brush teeth daily or him and I flosss

• Kate
    Favorite Answer

It's very common for dentists to recommend pulling the baby teeth. And many dentists will recommend putting the child under for major dental work, so for him to say laughing gas instead is actually much cheaper and shows that he recognized your son was cooperative.

I'm sorry this has happened to your little guy. You have to realize that if he's got cavities in one area, that means the bacteria that cause cavities are growing in his mouth, meaning he can more easily get cavities somewhere else. It doesn't necessarily depend on juice or candy. It's all about the bacteria. Some people are more prone to that type of bacteria, some people are less prone. Obviously sleeping with milk made it much worse, but it makes complete sense that he'd have multiple cavities.

If you don't trust him, get a second opinion. Try to take your son to a dental school or something so it's less expensive. Around where I live they have a dental hygiene school and it costs $10 for x-rays.

In the meantime, brush his teeth multiple times during the day (he can brush them first, but you need to brush them after until he's about 7-8). If he's a great spitter, you can let him use a little adult toothpaste so his teeth are getting more flouride. If he's not a great spitter, stick with the child's toothpaste. Teeth can remineralize on their own in many instances, especially if it's a small cavity. But they can't do that in a dirty mouth. You can also give him some xylitol granules, they taste like sugar so he'll love them, but they actually help kill cavity-causing bacteria. Give him a baby spoonful each time after he eats.

Here are some helpful websites:

Making teethbrushing more fun:http://www.toddler-tips-and-tricks.com/brushing-te...

Tooth care: http://www.toddler-tips-and-tricks.com/tooth-care....

This is a website from a dentist who specialized in remineralization of teeth: http://askdrellie.blogspot.com/2010_12_01_archive....

Sorry you and your son have to go through this:( My son is 3 and had 8 cavities, he had to receive 2 root canals, white crowns on his 4 front teeth, 2 in the back and some fillings. He has bronchitis which requires breathing treatments which decays teeth especially front teeth. His dentist sedated him and fixed everything that day, I know it sounds insane but it's actually in your son's best interest, the gas will help keep him calm and make the experience less traumatizing and he needs his teeth fixed as soon as possible before they get worse. I was like you, I did my research and went along with it, Now my son likes to show off his "new teeth" and he's really happy. Good luck, I hope all goes well.

This is why they recommend going to the dentist at the age of 6mo-year for first visit, every 3 months from there to get fluoride until 3 and then from 3 go every 6months. My kids drink and eat whatever, daddy loves giving candy -_- and they have PERFECT teeth, they are 2 and 3. My mom is a dental hygentist and she sees little kids like your son everyday. It doesnt matter how much try and avoid candies and sugars, there are sugars and acidic elements in almost everything you eat and drink. thats why its important to TAKE YOUR CHILD TO THE DENTIST BEFORE IT GETS BAD to get fluoride. He needs the laughing gas...have you ever had a tooth pulled without it? as an adult it hurts with just local anesthetic..so why would you make your 4 year old do that? Not to be mean but its your fault for not taking your kid to the dentist so now you need to sit back and let them take care of it so your son can get better. i cant imagine having abscess and cavities. OUCH.

• ?

wow, are you brushing or taking care of his teeth? anyways, no more falling asleep with a cup, and yes, the dental work is necessary, otherwise cps can be called on you, my niece (and me) both had our front teeth pulled when we were 3 because it was necessary, even if you had been giving antibiotics for the infection, the cause of the infection would still need to be treated, if you re really unsure about the rest of the work though get a second opinion from another reputable dentist

• Bobbi

As I posted earlier, get a 2nd opinion. I would seriously question any doc or dentist saying I or any family member needed all this work done or needed some extensive medical treatment, and not show me the x-rays or lab work results.

• Kukana

I suggest you try a different dentist! This one sounds terrible :-(

Minor cavities can heal themselves, and a child's first teeth should not be crowned since they will fall out anyway. Anaesthetic should certainly be given for any work on a child's teeth, and antibiotics should be given first for an abcess.

Definitely get them pulled out. He will get His adult ones but maybe even sooner because of the missing teeth but laughing gas is good too because he won't feel it as much

Source(s): I had my teeth pulled with laughing has

Remember, baby teeth do NOT last forever - therefore - just have the bad teeth pulled and wait for the adult teeth to come in.

If you have an issue with your current dentist, get a 2nd opinion.

brush his teeth after every meal, don't get lax about it! get the teeth removed now!