Is this normal for a teenager?

So, this only started today as far as I know. I've been seeing these floating specks in my good eye (I can only see out of one eye.) so I looked it up. One of the possibilities was retinal detachment, which really got me worried. Keep in mind that I'm fourteen, can only see out of one eye, but I tend to be a bit of a hypocondriach. I will get worked up over the tiniest problem and try to fix it a lot of the time.

Then later I looked them up and found out that they were called floaters. I checked with the school nurse and my mom. The nurse said that I should keep an eye on it (no pun intended.) and my mom said that it's probably because of the headache.

Anyway it's got me worried and annoyed. I really don't want to have surgery because my eye could be damaged in the process. My questions:

-Is it normal for a teenager to have eye floaters?

-How am I seeing them just now?

-Could it get worse if I worry about it?

-What causes floaters in teenagers?

-How can I tell if they're benign or a serious issue?

-How do I get rid of them? Or at least how can I deal with them?

-Can seeing them and/or the irritation be psychological?

-When should I actually be worried? A.K.A. at what point should I talk to a doctor?

I would love reliable sources and answers from experts or those who experienced it and handled it before. This thing is really Thank you!

Favorite Answer

I've had floaters since I was little. Almost everybody has them. They're debris floating in your vitreous I believe. They can't make you go blind.They don't hurt. I'm not sure if there is a cure but some say looking at the full moon cures them, which I doubt works. Honestly it's kind of interesting to look at them. I wear glasses and in the right light sometimes they are magnified. Don't worry about it.

EDIT: Actually if you have a lot of vitamin C intake you can treat floaters yourself. So make sure you're drinking your orange juice. Also I found that laser removal is an option but for something as small as floaters and your age, your best bet is vitamin C.

My *****, that ain't normal for anyone.