Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is this normal for a teenager?

So, this only started today as far as I know. I've been seeing these floating specks in my good eye (I can only see out of one eye.) so I looked it up. One of the possibilities was retinal detachment, which really got me worried. Keep in mind that I'm fourteen, can only see out of one eye, but I tend to be a bit of a hypocondriach. I will get worked up over the tiniest problem and try to fix it a lot of the time.

Then later I looked them up and found out that they were called floaters. I checked with the school nurse and my mom. The nurse said that I should keep an eye on it (no pun intended.) and my mom said that it's probably because of the headache.

Anyway it's got me worried and annoyed. I really don't want to have surgery because my eye could be damaged in the process. My questions:

-Is it normal for a teenager to have eye floaters?

-How am I seeing them just now?

-Could it get worse if I worry about it?

-What causes floaters in teenagers?

-How can I tell if they're benign or a serious issue?

-How do I get rid of them? Or at least how can I deal with them?

-Can seeing them and/or the irritation be psychological?

-When should I actually be worried? A.K.A. at what point should I talk to a doctor?

I would love reliable sources and answers from experts or those who experienced it and handled it before. This thing is really Thank you!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I've had floaters since I was little. Almost everybody has them. They're debris floating in your vitreous I believe. They can't make you go blind.They don't hurt. I'm not sure if there is a cure but some say looking at the full moon cures them, which I doubt works. Honestly it's kind of interesting to look at them. I wear glasses and in the right light sometimes they are magnified. Don't worry about it.

EDIT: Actually if you have a lot of vitamin C intake you can treat floaters yourself. So make sure you're drinking your orange juice. Also I found that laser removal is an option but for something as small as floaters and your age, your best bet is vitamin C.

• 8 years ago

My *****, that ain't normal for anyone.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.