Microsoft Windows updates?

Last night I wanted to do a major data copy - nearly a Tbyte. I knew it would take a long time so I set it to run overnight. I didn't want some random Windows update to terminate my copy process, so I unplugged the Ethernet cable that is my computer's connection to the internet. Much to my great... show more Last night I wanted to do a major data copy - nearly a Tbyte. I knew it would take a long time so I set it to run overnight. I didn't want some random Windows update to terminate my copy process, so I unplugged the Ethernet cable that is my computer's connection to the internet.

Much to my great disappointment this morning when I woke up the computer, I saw a login screen. Microsoft had managed to reboot my computer (and of course, trash my copy) without my computer even being connected to the internet.

So what happens then? Does Microsoft download updates that contain a time bomb set to run at some particular time?